Problems with 1988 15hp

wisgrif

Cadet
Hello all,

I took my boat out this morning and ran into some trouble. It over heated due to a clogged water intake. I shut it down after it started smoking but before it seized up. :eek: Got it home and replaced the plugs and it starts up with help of a little staring fluid.:D

My problem is that I am not getting good flow though the water inlet. The clog is gone (I think..water flows though the inlet out the "pee" tube with it has the water muffs on with the garden hose attached.) I also blew compressed air though the system and it seems to be fine. When I started it up (with the muffs and water on) the pressure and volume did not increase when I placed the motor in gear and gave it a little gas.

So I started to poke around and found a round cover on the front side of the head just above the top spark plug. I removed the 3 bolts holding it on and found what I think it either a pump or a thermostat. Either way it is broken and have to find a new one.

So my questions are:
1) Dose this year and model have a water pump and a thermostat? (model # J15 ECCS)

2) Were can I get parts for this year and model?

Thanks

Grif

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Problems with 1988 15hp

Hot enough to smoke! There will be many loose bolts, especially head bolts. Tighten all of them.

Replace the water pump assembly and also that thermostat assembly. Parts will be available at any dealership.

Best to obtain a service manual for the engine to avoid expensive mistakes.

wisgrif

Cadet

Hot enough to smoke! There will be many loose bolts, especially head bolts. Tighten all of them.

Replace the water pump assembly and also that thermostat assembly. Parts will be available at any dealership.

Best to obtain a service manual for the engine to avoid expensive mistakes.

Thanks. I am having problem finding a thermostat for this year motor.:confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The original and superseded part numbers are 378065 - 393659 - 437414 - and 434841 which is the latest number. This is readily available at your dealership, most marine type stores, Sierra, etc. Also, check with NAPA.

wisgrif

Cadet

The original and superseded part numbers are 378065 - 393659 - 437414 - and 434841 which is the latest number. This is readily available at your dealership, most marine type stores, Sierra, etc. Also, check with NAPA.

I got the thermostat but it is not the right one. I go the one you listed above. It says that number is only good for models up to 86. Mine is a 88. The thermostats for the 86 and older look very different form the 88 and newer. I still can not find one for a 88.

BaitThrower

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FWIW, I have an '86 15hp and I pulled a thermostat out of it that looked like this:

GLM13010_thumb.jpg

I asked the guy at the boat shop for a replacement and he said this is the newer thermostat now used:

MAL9-43019_thumb.jpg

They look different but have the same diameter flange.
Anyway I put the new one in and it seems to work fine at regulating my water flow and engine temp...

Are you in the same situation?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

1988 9.9/15hp, use thermostat 395919, superseded up to 433379. It slipped my mind that your engine went to a different thermostat setup, sorry.

wisgrif

Cadet

Are you in the same situation?

Well that is what the one I bought looks like but the one I need looks a lot different. 87 and newer have different type thermostat...I think.

Joe do you know the serria number for 433379?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i checked did not find a sierra number.