Doing away with VRO on 1985 70hp

oschoelh

Recruit
Hello I have a 1985 Johnson 70hp and the VRO is not working. Is there a way to bypass this system without having to change the fuel pump? If anyone can advise it would be most helpful.:) Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Doing away with VRO on 1985 70hp

disconnect sender wire from pump, and tank, cut an block oil line near motor. then add the oil to fuel, remove fuel line at carb, and pump bulb till you get blure premixed gas to that point.

oschoelh

Recruit

Thanks that sounds fairly simple. I was shocked to find out only a 10 dollar difference in price of vro and fuel pump. I'll glad to find out I can use the existing fuel and do away with vro system. Oh several years back I had the vro worked on the vro2 system was installed dose that make a difference?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The VRO2 was a much better pump than the VRO until it was discontinued for the OMS is 1993.

Still, the VRO2 gasoline side is easy to rebuild with a kit even though you cannot fix the oil side and electronics. It makes a great premix pump.

Be sure to disconnect the 3 or wire wire harness that runs from the fuel pump to the main engine harness.

ORIONS_KILLER

Recruit

Remove the VRO pump setup and replace with Part 3438556 tHIS IS A V-4 pump with seperate vacume diver port and fuel inlet/feed.
Eliminating the VRO is the best thing you can do.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Remove the VRO pump setup and replace with Part 3438556 tHIS IS A V-4 pump with seperate vacume diver port and fuel inlet/feed.
Eliminating the VRO is the best thing you can do.

I think the lift pump that you are referring to is PN 0438556.

The lift pump would certainly work, although the VRO2 pump may require no expense at all to use as a premix pump if the gasoline side is functioning.

BTW, The VRO2 and the OMS pumps are more powerful than the lift pumps.

oschoelh

Recruit

YES :)that is just what I wanted to here! No out of pocket expense. Well guys here I go out to fix my motor. I will update on outcome. Thanks for all the help you guys have saved me a lot of much needed money.

oschoelh

Recruit

Well, I listened to my husband (first mistake) he said it looked as if the oil hose would need to be cut off inside after leaving the VRO pump. So I started taking parts off to get to the hoses the started, front of carburetor, then took bolts out of VRO pump to see where all the hoses went in and out of pump. After much head scratching and discussion I said to him would it be as simple as cutting the hose off at the outside of the motor where the gas line plugs in? It was not an easy sell but finally the light bulb went on and he agreed it was possible. Since I was the one working on the darn thing I'm not sure why he was telling me how to fix it. All ended well I just thought you guy's would get a good laugh out of my adventure I know I sure did. Well once again thanks for all the advice it was great.:p