Optimax Pro XS 250,repeated coil failures

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
This is a new unit that the sales dept. talked very hard into making the deal and closed with none of my input includuding the P.D.I.Shipped it without primeing the oil system so it came back with alarms,go figure.Now we see repeated coil failures at #6 and Merc is telling me that a coil failure deserves a new plug even though that's not what I got from tech line.Anyone out there with something similar.Engine scans clear.The customer is really p.o.ed understandably and missing a few tournaments.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Optimax Pro XS 250,repeated coil failures

Do you have a way to scope the primary screw on the coil, and compare the voltage spike to the others. An open resistor in a plug would let it get way too high and could cause damage as described, or worse. That would verify or debunk the plug theory at least. While yer at it, check the plug if it isn't getting changed.

By scope, I mean put an oscilloscope on it of course.

hope it helps
John

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

I can pull up all kinds of ratty stuff on most engines.This engine is not throwing me the rat.If Merc has a problem with coil to plug issues,they ought to let the techs out in the field know.A service bulletin might be nice.Techline shared none of that info with me and found I it out secondhand.Do'nt get me wrong.That CADS can be wonderfull,but any tech that relies completely on that will fail.

j_martin

Admiral

Sometimes you actually have to think. Bummer

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Do'nt I know it,but the original ?go'es unanswered.Has anyone else seen repeated coil failures on one of these units or a similar optimax.Merc says change the coil ,change the spark plug but will not share that info with you until the third coil .Is this a coil issue or NGK issue?

Ed R

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey, E.R Pro here, if DDT picks up 3 #6 coil fault; it would be a open circuit, going to coil. It will NOT pick up plug fouling,etc. Do a cylinder misfire on #6 running!! . Switch coil pack with #1 and see if problem follows.