Merc 650 1966

MonkeyBarrel

Recruit
I have two model 650 motors that I have put on a 35 ft Boatel House Boat 1973. Went through the lower units on one and changed impelers on both.

The motor I am having problems with I had the carbs rebuilt and it will start and run good in netural but onced place in gear bogs way down to the point where it dies before wot gets close. Now the guy who worked on it said to take it out and while running down the lake adjust the idel screws. I did that and now he tells me to check to make sure the prop is not to big.

I am going back to the lake next weekend to try this, but does anyone else have any suggestion.

Thanks

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Merc 650 1966

Welcome to iboats.

These guys know there stuff.

Do you have a tach on each motor? You need to know what WOT RPM is.
What is WOT running at?

MonkeyBarrel

Recruit

NO tachs yet I hopeto have some wired in soon.

This motor runs greaty in nuetral and revs up nice in neutral but when put in gear it will not take much throttle, and will quit.

And thanks for the welcome. I shop Iboats all the time first time in forum.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

I've never run twins, seems like twice the headache.

I am sure one of these guys knows the best way to set them up working together.

Good luck.

Laddies

Banned

The problem that you describe, quiting as you try to accelerate is normally a dirty carb, so they will have to be cleaned and test ran.

MonkeyBarrel

Recruit

The carbs on that motor were just rebuilt and this is its first time back in the water. After trying to adjust the idal screws it still will not accelerate.