Got shocked but don't know why

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Got shocked but don't know why

What circuit are you using the switch in?

Unless it's connected to a condenser or a coil, you shouldn't have any surprises. 12v won't give you a tingle unless you connect it to your tongue like you test a little 9v battery.

Was there some static electricity there??

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you were powering a motor or horn or something with an inductive load when you open the circuit (release the button) there can be a voltage spike that would far exceed the 12 volts of the battery.

ziggy

Admiral

are either of the wires connected to the switch inadvertently touching the case of the switch? if so, when the circuit is completed with a push of the switch, that might shock ya.

id think to test the switch. i'd just disconnect the wires and check for continuity from ea. post to the case of the switch. then operate the switch so it's closed and repeat testing ea. terminal to the case for continuity....

drewpster

Commander

Somehow you made a path to ground when you were touching the switch. Aside from a static shock like you get on a door knob there should be no way that electricity from the switch's circuit can pass through the button. It is possible you have a wire touching the switch case. However if you have no wiring issues the switch should be designed so that power CANNOT pass to the button under any circumstance. In fact any marine switch that can allow power to the control under any circumstances should not be used.
If the wiring is ok then the switch is defective. Get rid of it.
Switches (especially marine ones) should be designed so that this cannot happen.

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was using the switch as a kill switch for a johnson outboard. I am building the wiring from scratch and this is the first time I have taken on a project such as this. I am surprised that I haven't been shocked yet. Doing some looking into this and head scratching I realizied that I had bought an always on/momentary off switch. It never crossed my mind that there were switches like this, but now I know. Going out this afternoon to get alway off/momentary on switches.

I am thinking about going with plastic push button, but the metal looks soo much better. I'll give it another try, re-check the ground, and see what happens. Thanks for the inputs

MikDee

Banned

No Wonder, that's the wrong switch for a kill switch, it is momentary on, like an old car starter switch, not momentary off, It is breaking the circuit before you touch it, and probably charged up from the higher powered ignition circuit, so I'm pretty sure your finger was completing the circuit somehow?

waterinthefuel

Commander

Yes, what you felt was the engine's spark going through your switch and popping you. That was not the intention of that switch. You got the wrong one. You need one thats always off, not always on. That, or ground that switch. You had 20,000 volts coming from the engine and popping you. Not good.

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you look down the page on the rest of the switches there are rubber boots covering the switch. You need one. You are taking the feed back from the ignition coil or coils while the engine is dieing. Ouch. There are kill switches made which isolate you from this and have the option of a safety cable to kill the engine if you should fall away from the controls. Consider one of these, cheap insurance.

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Went to the store and got the correct switch. I should have paid more attention, the 2 kinds of switches were right there next to each other. Got the new switches in and everything is working superbly.