VHF Install

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm about to install a NEW VHF radio soon (old radio no worky). The old radio is on a bracket below the dash on the right. I'd like to flush mount the new radio, just not sure where.

This is the unit I purchased.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/279001/

I was hoping for a FLUSH mount. But I just noticed the handheld jack is on the side. Any suggestions or should I just leave it right where the old one is. Antennae cable is plenty long (~15 ft).

I very open minded about this install.

IMG_7212.jpg

IMG_7213.jpg

IMG_7214.jpg

IMG_7215.jpg

IMG_7216.jpg

Thanks!!

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: VHF Install

I'd put it where the old unit is. It's out of the way and looks easy to read and get to. If sound level is a problem, get an external speaker and mount that elsewhere.
If I were to flush mount it (with flush mount kit), I'd put it just to the right of the wheel, but first seeing if it would interfere with your compass.

IMO

BTW, nice helm.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like you have three choices. Either side of the steering wheel or above the cup holders. Personally if it will fit and not block access to the cup holders that is where I would put it. Be aware unless it comes in the box you will need to purchase the flush mounting kit/bracket. Make sure to check all clearances three times before cutting including anything that may get in the way behind the dash. Zip tie out of the way any wires behind the dash so you don't cut into them. The cord attachment is not a problem as the radio mounts to the recessed area behind the cord. I agree with you to flush mount it as your existing radio and all its wires looks cheesy hanging there but you do what you gotta do at the time.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

left of helm above cup holder looks like that is optimium place, and you may need external speaker.

ziggy

Admiral

looks like ya got the room for flush mount on the side there above the cup holders. the mic cord coming out the side won't cause ya trouble. but the way the cup holders are right below that possible mounting point. i'd be a shade leary. drinks get sloped and the radio would be right there to be sloped on. also the mic cord will have no where to hang other than in a cup holder. got any room on the starboard side of the wheel? that'd look pretty good there. either on the vertical surface or the angle surface. if ya got the room behind the dash. or. if it don't cause ya grieve for your knee hitting the radio where it's at. i think i'd leave it below dash. less holes in yer boat that way too. i hate putting big holes in my boat and that would be a big issue for me... mines below dash too. don't look that bad i don't think (and neither does yours) + it'd be easy to R&R it if i need a different one for whatever reason. i've no issues with my location including i don't bump it with my knee.....

IMG_2146.jpg

good point injun makes too. keep it away from the compass. as for the hanging wires. zip tie em up and out of the way behind the dash....good luck with your dicission.....

reelfishin

Captain

I flush mounted the radio on one of my older boats years ago, it worked fine but I had two major problems, one was that if the sun glare was interfering with me seeing the display, I couldn't just tilt the radio a bit to make it easier to read, second, the plug in connection for the remote speaker kept getting corroded and either loosing it's connection or causing annoying static and noise. I was always climbing under the dash to clean the plug pins and socket.

Another problem came when that radio died, the new one was a lot smaller, leaving me with a huge hole in my dash to fill. The new radio was half the size of the old one.

Make sure before you cut that the steering cable or helm aren't going to be in the way too.

Also, when you flush mount that particular radio, the mic wire remains on the surface, make sure you have enough room to the right for it to clear. About an inch or so of the radio face remains on the surface. Those are pretty well shielded as far a compass interference as well but I'd make sure I tested it before mounting. Something as simple as a soda can can through off some compasses, let alone a radio mounted nearby.

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

I mounted the radio in the same place as the old one. Simple and easy. I'll take pictures soon.

Now there is a problem. When I turn on the radio in 1w mode, it says "low voltage." I can transmit no problem. I switched to 25W mode. When I transmit, the unit reboots it self as if I turned the knob off then on again.

There are 2 batteries. Port battery is of unknown age and fully charged. Starboard battery is 1 month old and also fully charged. Batteries are on a smart guest charger.

The old unit was dead so I don't know if this is a wiring problem or the unit itself.

Any idea where I should start?

Thanks!!

ziggy

Admiral

i think ya made a good choice in mounting locations..... simple and easy....;)

Splat

Lieutenant

Check your connections. Could be getting line drop from a bad connector.

Bill

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would mount it in the right side of the helm. The area to the left by the cupholders looks to be a perfect size for mounting your CD player/stereo. ;)