Hydraulic steering help.

f_inscreenname

Commander
I need some help here understanding something. I just bought this boat and in it, it has a hydraulic steering system. Now I have been all over this thing and I?m still not sure how it works (I wouldn?t care but the steering is very stiff from sitting for years). I?m not sure if something is wrong with it or just needs to be worked.
85745633fg4.jpg

So this is what I got so far. There is a tank, I figure it is a oil tank due to that it has a oil pressure gage (blue arrow) in the top of it. The other blue arrow is pointed to a air valve (like on a tire). Off the bottom of the oil tank are two lines. One goes to the a block (red arrow with all the hoses). Out of that block, two lines go to the hydraulic ram for the steering on the outdrive. The other 2 lines from the block and one of the lines from the oil tank goes to the steering bezel. Behind the steering wheel is another block that all three of these lines screw into.
10666901bm6.jpg

I?ve looked all over this thing a lot and I don?t see anywhere how it gets ?powered? by anything external. No open oil lines. No electrics of any kind. Being that it has air valve I did what any man would do and pumped it up to about 75 lbs (the gage goes to 100 lbs) but it didn?t help any. Is this how it?s supposed to be? I?m sure its stiff since it sat for years but I just want to make sure I?m not missing something.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hydraulic steering help.

Hyd.steering should be easy. Unhook it at the drive and try to move the drive by itself.It could be corroded and need new steering bushings.
The ram that moves the drive might need lubed(WD40) The seals clog up and dry out.
The steering head is actually the pump.Have you checked the oil level?
It take a special oil.Some people put regular oil in them and it makes it hard to turn.Jerry

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

From the looks of it, you have ATF in the sight gauge of the reservoir, way to viscious. That special oil Jerry was referring to is actually a 50/50 mix of Ethelene Glycol and water. That is a Hynautic system, normally found on larger yachts.
I would also disconnect the cylinder from the drive to make sure the steering for bushings aren't binding (common on Volvo's).
I have a box of stuff out in the garage I'll dig into this evening and see if I have the owners/installation manual for that steering system.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Like you both said, I will disconnect it today and see if it will spin better. It very easily could be the drive after sitting as long as it has. Sometime over the winter the drive will come off and also be gone through. A manual would be awesome. At least I would know how it?s supposed to be.
I would pull the whole system out but then I would have to come up with a new steering system and this boat is on a budget so any help is appreciated getting this working.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I had to Google it and found that some used MILH5606 (RED Aircraft Hydraulic Oil) in the system and not antifreeze.
Here is a link to some instructions I found on it.

http://boaterstore.com/troubleshoot.html

f_inscreenname

Commander

Thanks Don. I will have to do what I said and run through their troubleshooting also and see what I come up with.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

On my hydrolic steering it came with a thin red hydrolic oil.It was from Sea-Star I believe.
Was there any names on the steering anywhere? Look under the dash on the steering pump,on the ram or cylinder. If you find anything post it. Then look on google. Jerry

f_inscreenname

Commander

There is not a single trademark on anything. I have been lucky enough that a guy who bought one of my props has the same system and a owners manual.
The system is still very stiff. You can hear and feel the gears hitting in he steering wheel box. Not that it feels sloppy or grinding but more like,....... stiff gears moving past each other. I spent a lot of time on wiring last night. I will have to take a good look at the steering today or tomorrow and update what happened.
Thanks everyone.
Ton's of help here on this. It's now up to me to put it to good use. At least now there is a good chance I may actually know what I'm looking at.