Swap a 3.0merc with a chevy 350?

papashaq

Recruit
Hi all, I am thinking of buy my friends bayliner with a 3.0 mercruiser that wasn't winterized and now has a cracked block. I have a 350 chevy V8 out of an old truck that runs good, but the truck has seen it's day. Can I swap the 3.0 for the 350? How involved would this swap be? What kind of money would be involved? I don't have much inboard knowledge but I do have automobile engine knowlege. I am thinking of doing this because I think I would save a ton of money by doing it my self and without haveing to buy a new engine. Would it be worth it? after buying all the retrofit parts like a new manifold and such? Or would I still be saving money if I found a comparable 3.0 engine from a car and swap the parts? Thanks in advance.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Swap a 3.0merc with a chevy 350?

Huge waist of time and money. You have the engine but none of the externals can be used. Waterpump, ignition, carb, fuel pump, alternator, starter, and many many other small parts all have to be marine, not auto parts. The stringers/engine bed would have to be rebuilt for a V engine instead of the inline that is there now. You would also have to re-gear or replace the upper unit of the stern drive if you use anything other than another 4cyl.

If you can get the boat free and find another 3.0 then it would probably be worth it.

chiefalen

Captain

There ain't no 3.0 car motor that will fit right in. Cause GM never put one in a car.

They did put a 2.5 car motor in boats.

But in your situation you need a 3.0 marine motor, don't matter who makes it.

Merc, omc or volvo.

Than you can use all the tins and such off your old motor.

Thats it.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Like the chief says - you will not find a 3.0 in the junk yard. This 4 cyl was used in cars back in the 60's, but since then it has only been used in industrial and marine applications.