How often to lube a prop?

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2008 Yamaha 70hp with a little more than 20 hrs. I bought it new in Feb this year. How often should I take it off and lube it?

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How often to lube a prop?

Annual maintaince, if you are really sure that the person who set it up lubed it first. I would pull it and lube now, then you know what the schedule is to be. Do you store it for winter or are you in the area where year round boating is the norm.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is the first year I've had the boat. The winters are sometimes mild here so I will try to use it all year. The boat is in my garage when not in use. I would think it must have been lubed at the factory when new.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Not from the factory. Remember, boats and engines come from two different places and then the prop that is installed varies by what boat/engine combination you have. The dealer that sold the boat most likely lubed the splines when they rigged the boat but it's a simple matter to check. Having seen two buddies have to have their props pulled off due to corrosion and lack of maintenance I always tell people to do it every year at the beginning of the season. Of course, if you're like me and change props every other time out ( prop for fishing/speed and prop for tubing/power) it's not an issue.

UFM82

In Florida I used to joke that it was time to grease the splines everytime you pulled the prop to remove the crab trap ropes...:)

Paul DuLaney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I take mine off several times each year at least and check for fishing line ect.Then put a little never seize on and good to go. Had on of my coworkers who heard me talking about lubing my prop and he said he's never seen a grease cert on one.I just looked at him gave him the sign L.(what is sad he was serious)