tools

kwulff

Recruit
does anyone know where I can get the ring tool to set the coils on older johnson evenrude motors. also, point setting tool?

Xcusme

Commander
Re: tools

That ring setting tool is a bit pricey and the point setting tool is a feeler gauge. The feeler gauge can be had a auto parts store for a few dollars.

Align the coils so that the coil base aligns flush with the coil mounting bases on the armature plate. Make surface A flush with surface B.

Crackedcoil-1.jpg

To set the points:

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubber portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

I've had a set of points feeler gauges for ever. They're very narrow and short. Do parts stores have this style anymore? I haven't noticed. Would the guys in the parts store even know what points look like? :)

Cheers..................Todd

kwulff

Recruit

Thanks. I've set them this way before and the coils sometimes move when I tighten the screws. The ring keeps them in place better. A fraction of an inch can really make a difference.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Like this?

Attachments

• Coil Ring Std.jpg
    Coil Ring Std.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Timing tools iboats.jpg
    Timing tools iboats.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0