Story of extreme overloading (sorry, no pics)

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
I saw something a few weeks back that just left me shaking my head. I am sorry that I didn?t bring a camera with me. I was out for a nice long walk and decided to walk by a boat launch. It?s not really an official boat launch, just a section of beach on a causeway that people use successfully for the purpose. I saw a guy pull up in his S-10 Blazer towing a little trailer, something that would be appropriate for a 12? boat with an 800 lb. capacity. I kept walking, then I reached the end of the causeway and had to turn around. I approached the S-10 Blazer at the boat launch, but what?s this? He is attempting to load a huge 22? inboard cabin cruiser onto the dinky little trailer! :eek: I figured that he would bust the winch, bend the trailer, blow out the tires, break an axle. I watched in utter disbelief as he pulled out with this absurdly and dangerously overloaded trailer, a large portion of the load at the rear of the trailer and huge unsupported overhang. Was he drunk? Well, the boat made it to the top of the ramp and just rolled off the trailer, BANG, right onto the ground and listed like the beached Minnow. In retrospect it was the funniest thing since there weren?t any people around to get hurt. Nobody that is except for a cop that just happened to drive up as it happed and watched it fall off. :D Unbelievable! I guess he wan?t drunk because I later saw my super genius friend driving the Blazer with an empty trailer that night. He was a significant distance from the 'scene of the crime', suggesting to me that he wasn't just going to tow it 1 block. :mad: The boat was still on the ground at the ramp 2 days later.

Watch out people, they dwell among us! Crazy stuff!

mtnrat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Story of extreme overloading (sorry, no pics)

Absolutely a riot. LOL.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

some people just have no common sence :eek:

scipper77

Commander

Sounds like the kind of guy that would rather risk life and limb then spend a dollar. Lets examine the facts.....

1 Wouldn't buy correct trailer for his boat
2 Using beach as a free launch
3 Boat was still there two days later

reelfishin

Captain

Are you sure it was even his boat?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

This is not an uncommon event. I was coming into the Twin Cities a month or so ago and got behind a full size Ford Van towing an huge sale boat that was also on a trailer that was too small for the boat and it had the same issues. Mind you, we are on the Interstate and this van full of idiots cannot maintain 40 MPH because the trailer was swaying so bad. When I pulled out to pass them, it was obvious why. The trailer was so tongue-light it was tending to raise the back of the van. Funny they were even able to get this thing out of the water.

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class

It really amazes me the level of stupidity that some people are capable of achieving...

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm not surprised. I have heard many truck and/or boat dealers claim that it won't be a problem to haul a big boat with a small truck/tow vehicle. Anything for the sale. Buyer beware!

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

In today's digital age I take a camera everywhere except into the water and if I could find an affordable waterproof camera I'd take it there too. Pics like this are to die for, and if this mental deficit had gotten any farther maybe he would have....or more likely he'd have killed some innocent:mad:

freddyray21

Commander

doubt he was stealing the boat. Many people at the lakes and rivers around here don't own a trailer for their boats as they either leave them in the water all year or pay a fee for the marina to pull them out and put them on blocks in the fall and relaunch them in the spring. I would imagine this guy bought the boat with no trailer and figured he would be able to just get it home on the little trailer. Probably the slip space rent was due or the like.