Speakers help

unhip_crayon

Seaman
Is it possible to transform car speakers into marine speakers? From what I understand, the only difference between the two is the "cone" which consists of different materials, cardboard or plastic.

I mounted my speakers underneath the dash and such so they should not have direct contact with the water and should be fine but what worries me is moisture.

Is there some sort of spray that can protect the cardboard from moisture?

THanks

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: Speakers help

I don't believe you can 'convert' them. What I can tell you is that they won't last as long, simply because of the cone materials you've mentioned.

In a boat, it's impossible not to have exposure to moisture so it will diminish their lifespan.

The cone is different in marine. Also, as with marine grade speaker wire or electronics, they typically use tin to coat the copper to prevent corrosion. I'm assuming the solder on the cones would be handled in a similar manner.

So, you can use them (same impedance, etc) however they won't last as long.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Son-in-laws 1996 MirroCraft (formerly my boat) has a Kraco car stereo and two 6 inch car speakers. Still working like a champ and the boat is stored outdoors.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

If they ar mounted out of the Sun and out of the spray they should hold up quite well.

One thing that can be important is the car speaker often have larger magnets that can greatly affect your compass.
So if you need to use a compass be very carefull when installing car speakers within 6 feet of your compass.
Many marine speakers have smaller magnets or are sheilded to reduce affect on compass but you still need to be carefull.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i personally use junk yard systems, mount out of the weather.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are many things to consider. If you are worried about paper cones, yes if they are wet and you crank-up the stereo, they may tear. You can spray them with Scotch-guard and they will repell water. The voice coils and windings are pretty much identical between "marine" and auto sound. Now comes the real consideration : The better marine speakers have a plastic or at least a plastic coated basket (frame) and grill. Most auto speakers don't. If your speakers are in the open and mounted to a pourous surface, you could end up with a rusty mess leaving rust trails all over your nice boat.
I have always used auto or commercial speakers on every boat I've owned. I always select speakers that have a "poly" cone. If any portion of the frame or grill is bare metal, I spray paint them ( usually white, to cut down on heat). I throw away any included mounting hardware and buy the appropriate items in stainless steel. I've had some great sound systems and saved some real money this way.