28" Chris Craft twin engine

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class
;)I may have fell into it dudes and dudets. I met a widow with a 28' CC. It has not been used since her her husband passed away 8 years ago. It has been cared for by the marina and runs. She asked if I could pilot her boat. I said sure I can, I was in the Coast Guard. Which is true. I didn't bother her with the detail that I never was the coxswain of a twin engine utility boat however.

So, when we fire that bad boy up and throw off the lines and I am up in the captain's chair, what do I need to know, what advice do you have for me as I back it out of the slip? Besides don't run over little boats.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: 28" Chris Craft twin engine

So, when we fire that bad boy up and throw off the lines and I am up in the captain's chair, what do I need to know
that statement worries me, specially the what do i need to know part....... hope i'm overreacting...
so have ya piloted a single screw boat bob?
does the uscg provide you with the basic safe boating practices? ya know, little things like run the blowers five min. before ya "fire that bad boy up"?
or common sense ideas like never approach anything (like the dock) faster than ya are willing to hit it... rules of the road? boating laws that effect all? etc. very thick books have been written about boating. chapman piloting, seamanship and boat handling is a good one. the 63rd edition i have is only 616 pages long. very informative....
what skill level are you at? been boating all yer life? since you've been an adult? never?
just jumping into the helm of any boat, twin screw or not, is a need for education prior to the voyage...... not trying to be hard on ya, we just need more info so folks can help ya out...
myself. i've not piloted a twin screw boat, so i personally can't answer your question. short of what i've read about it. but that's not practical experience. reading is always a good start.....;)

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Crestliner Nordsman II single I/O. Yeah, you run the blowers, check the lights, make sure none of the safty equiptment requrired by the feds and the state have not been removed, know how the wind will impact the boat when the lines are cast off, and ease away from the dock using the rudder and the engine.

I am guessing here that you do the same with twin screws but would keep the rudder amid ships in backing from the slip but use the two engines to adjust for breeze or wind to get out without ripping off the end of the dock. But once the the pre trip is done and the lines cast off, unless it is dead calm I'm not sure what will happen when I reverse both engines. And since you have not done it, you are of no help.

bb

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Just take it easy around the dock and you'll be fine.

Remember you don't have to put it in gear and just leave it there, it's not like putting a car in drive or reverse cause you want to go that direction. Think about it more like maneuvering thrusters- shifting in then out and see what happens. (Always have the throttles pulled back before shifting!).

Just take your time and get used to it.

Do you get the way a twin screw maneuvers?
Port goes like (
Starboard goes )

Of course spend some time getting familiar with the boat before untieing is real important so you know where all your gear is, including anchor, fire ext, life jackets etc.

Most of all relax, when you stress you don't think you only react.

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks NSB, that helps, especially the part about looking the boat over kind of getting used to it. That will help my friend think I know what I'm doing too and then of course not leaving it in gear like a car. Just a little bit so I get used to how it will respond as I back it out. I agreed to do this and am really excited about it but then I began to think, hoky smoke, this is 28 foot of Chris Craft! CHRIS CRAFT!!! Aggggg.

Thanks again.

bob

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Remember what Capt. Ron said," If it's gonna happen it's gonna happen out there!" :)

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ain't it the truth. I love that movie.

bb

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is hard to say, if you have counter rotating props it should be a breeze. I would maybe start out with just 1 engine and go slowly till your out of the slip

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

depends on how tight the situation is. twins make tight situations fairly easy. also start those engines and let them run a while before disembarking, watch the gauges. also learn the horn signal etiquette when leaving and entering the marina.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

It is hard to say, if you have counter rotating props it should be a breeze. I would maybe start out with just 1 engine and go slowly till your out of the slip
Yeah, ideally you should know beforehand if it has counter rotating props or not as it WILL make a difference in how the boat handles, particularly when backing. Also if the both rotate in the same direction, the boat will tend to lean and push port when running at speed and you need to know if it is normal and if so, how to correct for it. If they are counter-rotating, this would not be normal behaviour and could indicate a problem.

All that aside, the best way to think of the controls and how the boat will react is to imagine you are pushing a shopping cart with both hands. The left control would be your left hand and the right, your right hand. If you push or pull either control, imagine how a shopping cart would react to the same input and you've got the idea, even with the steering neutral. You can also pull one control and push the other to get the boat to pivot within it's own length. Hope this helps.
--
Stan

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

There is no reason to assume that the boat isn't set up correctly. For it to not have counter rotating props would very odd to say the least. The moment you shift both engine into gear if it hooks hard to one side you'll know it's wrong, but again the odds of it being wrong are unreal slim.

Use both engines NOT one. Twin screws handle a hundred times better than a single engine in close quarters and not using them both not only eliminates that but makes for a worse handling boat than a single engine.

It's easier to dock a large motor yacht than a small single engine boat.

Shift both in gear then out and see what you need to do next.

Oh and good advice from TD let um' warm up.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the boat has been sitting for 8 years, make sure the controls actually shift and dont stick. Has it been un winterized? Check oil? Check bilge?

Does it have a bow thruster?

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW. Thank you everyone for excellent advice. I'll let you know how to goes this saturday. I will try to post pictures

RE Setting. My friend has had it in the slip at a marina all these years. She uses it as a camper and just goes there to sleep in it and spend time with friends there. She starts the engine now and then to listen to them. The marina cares for it and winterizes it, stores it, puts it in the water in the spring and takes it out in the fall.

Good reminder to check the oil though as well as letting those engine warm up and watch the gages. Lots of great info in the screws etc.

bb:)

Ned L

Commander

...... So I won't comment on someone who tells a boat owner they are experienced in operating their type of boat, is asked to take her out, says yes, and actually has no experience. - Like I'd like to find out that a person that says they can take my boat in & out of the slip has no experience (I don't think so).
You should be up front & truthful with your experience & say to this person that between the two of you, you think you will have no problem if you take it slow & easy & you do a fair bit of practice maneuvering in open water before you try to put her back in the slip. It could save a good bit of embarrassment, and even make for a more enjoyable time. - There is a good bit of difference between maneuvering a single screw I/O & a twin screw inboard.
- I was in a situation very similar to this, except I did have the experience. I grew up on the water, years of experience running boats up to our family?s 46' twin diesel C.C., & running commercial fishing boats up to 95' eastern rigged draggers. - Life changes took me away from the water for 20+ years, & then this past summer was asked by new neighbors to help them run their brand new 35' Cruisers inc that had never been out of the slip (quarter mil $ boat). I explained my experience, that I was rusty, but if they were comfortable I'm sure we would be fine. It wasn't the best job putting her back in the slip the first time, but after a couple of times out I'm now very comfortable again, and we've had a great time with them this summer.

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

You say you won't comment and then you go ahead and comment.

Lighten up dude, it isn't the Queen Mary.

bb

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

that statement worries me, specially the what do i need to know part....... hope i'm overreacting...
so have ya piloted a single screw boat bob?
does the uscg provide you with the basic safe boating practices? ya know, little things like run the blowers five min. before ya "fire that bad boy up"?
or common sense ideas like never approach anything (like the dock) faster than ya are willing to hit it... rules of the road? boating laws that effect all? etc. very thick books have been written about boating. chapman piloting, seamanship and boat handling is a good one. the 63rd edition i have is only 616 pages long. very informative....
what skill level are you at? been boating all yer life? since you've been an adult? never?
just jumping into the helm of any boat, twin screw or not, is a need for education prior to the voyage...... not trying to be hard on ya, we just need more info so folks can help ya out...
myself. i've not piloted a twin screw boat, so i personally can't answer your question. short of what i've read about it. but that's not practical experience. reading is always a good start.....;)

i agreeeeee with ziggy and after your last post will go a step further

this is a bad idea based on what you have posted so far. after following post since yesterday morning, i'm suprised there havent been more coments to that effect.
you can do a lot of damage to hers and others property in a hurry and by your posts you dont seem very accountable.
you need to lighten up, step back, and rethink this.
a boat that hasnt been out in 8 years isnt one for some one with little or no experance to ,much less the size, to learn on

Ned L

Commander

Sorry, just how I would feel. That doesn't mean I don't want it to be a good experience for you & your friend.

I'll point out one thing that you might need to give some real concentration to. What type of throttle & reverse gear control does your current boat have? Are they two separate controls, or do you have a 'one armed bandit' type where both functions are in a single control. Check out the throttles & reverse gear controls on the C.C.. If they are of the same type then OK, if they are of the different type then you may need to do extra thinking about what you are doing. If you are used to running one type of setup & move over to the other it can be like trying to drive a car where the accelerator & brake pedal have been swapped. It can get real confusing real fast. Not trying to scare you, just something to be aware of.

Re-reading the posts, it sounds like that the boat is head-in in the slip. That will make things a lot easier for you; you won't have to back her in when you return.

Before you go out I'd suggest looking around the engine compartment. Even if you don't have a clue as to what you are looking at you can see if anything is leaking (oil or water), and check for gas fumes. (As has been said) Always good to run the bilge blower, but there's nothing better than actually smelling for fumes, you can easily smell gas fumes well before they reach an explosive level.

Keep an eye on the temp gauges while you are out. The neoprene water pump impellors may not last to long if they are 8 yrs old & have not been run above idle speed.

Steering will be much less responsive than you are used to at idle; you are turning only the rudders & not the prop like on an I/O. - if you are in a tight maneuvering situation you may need to use the engines to make tight turns (I think this has been covered already). Before you leave, turn the wheel from lock to lock to see how many turns it takes, this will also allow you to figure out where straight ahead is before you start moving.

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

:mad:If you read carefully you would know I have a single screw Crestliner Nordsman II That is a 24 foot I/O. My only issue is how that differs from a twin screw.

Since there has not been more negitive posts and all but yours and the other guys are helpful info you might get a clue. Reading will help you know I was in the Coast Guard. We do more than chip paint and mop. The CG has, guess what, boats!!! Wow, who knew.

It is going to be a great day Saturday, clear and calm but a little chilly on Lake Charlivoix in upper michigan. I have confered with a fellow at the marina, he shared some info about the boat and the engines and trim tabs and says I will have no problems. The slips are wide and there is a lot of room to manuver.

Take a chill pill, the two of you.

bob

Ned L

Commander

I think if you re-read my posts you will see that the majority of what I wrote are very specific issues that apply to your upcomming situation and making it as positive as possible.

You did write " So, when we fire that bad boy up and throw off the lines and I am up in the captain's chair, what do I need to know, what advice do you have for me as I back it out of the slip? Besides don't run over little boats".

I did give you good information that no one else has. (especially watch out for the possible trottle & reverse gear issue, & the steering will be much less responsive at idle).

You did ask for advise, listen & enjoy.