67 20hp johnson starter wiring question

jay42782

Seaman Apprentice
hey guys!

alright...got the motor running good thanks to you guys so now im looking to make my electric start fully functional.it has electric start that has been tested and works great but there is not one wire coming from the starter so i will be starting from scratch.was wondering the best way to go about running the wires and what i will need to do so.i would like to purchase some kind of ignition like a car with a key.

so all i have is a battery and the starter,any suggestions would be apreciated much....thanks fellas!

freddyray21

Commander
Re: 67 20hp johnson starter wiring question

you need a starter solenoid and a key switch. I have the wiring diagram, but no way to post it. The solenoid will have two large posts on it at either end. One of the post hooks to the + side of the battery and the other hooks to the starter. The two small post will have one side to a ground and the other to your key switch. The key switch provides 12v to the solenoid which engages the starter.

jay42782

Seaman Apprentice

you need a starter solenoid and a key switch. I have the wiring diagram, but no way to post it. The solenoid will have two large posts on it at either end. One of the post hooks to the + side of the battery and the other hooks to the starter. The two small post will have one side to a ground and the other to your key switch. The key switch provides 12v to the solenoid which engages the starter.

great!.thank you very much!

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The standard engine wire harness has a white wire (I think it is white, could be really faded yellow) that goes to the solenoid. That is a ground from the engine I beleive. There typically isn't anywhere good to get a ground on a boat where the solenoid is mounted. I am assuming this has the remote mount solenoid like my '59 has.

Last edited:

hammerhandle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jay. you have a great motor to work on. i have some pictures of my 18 hp. showing what you need, but the file size is to large and cant post them. my 18 was a basket case and i re-wired evreything. the original wiring was to hard and exspensive to find. As mentioned before you will need a starter solenoid, i have been reading that this has to be the (marine type) . it looks like the old ford vehicle type starter solenoid.im not sure exactly why but maybe someone will post the reason for the difference.and the starter switch will have to be the marine type as well with atleast 4 electrical terminals on the back side.2 just for the magneto coils and per freddyrays post. if your going to mount starter on the motor itself , should be fairly easy for a do-it yourselfer. if you install it for a remote steering application im sure you would want the quick disconnect harness for battery and switch.maybe if you pm me, i can email the pics to your address.( also might want to get a good repair manual)

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A quick hint for re-sizing photos is to do a yahoo search for 'irfanview'. It is a free photo editor that is VERY easy to use and contains no spyware. Many other forums recommend it. Once installed, open the photo and hit Ctrl+R for resize, click 640x480, then save the photo under a new name. I always just add a 'v' to the filename to note it is VGA resolution.

JPG files in VGA are all pretty clear and come in just under the size limit so that you can easily attach them to posts.

Hope this helps everyone. The pics add significantly to the information given and the questions asked.

hammerhandle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

trying to send a readable diagram , not sure what it will look like ,but i better (take asd's advice) and try working with that program. 2nd pic would not upload, so had to shrink it. Hopefully you can make something of them. I cant !

Attachments

• 20hp-2.jpg
    20hp-2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 0
  • ,scan1.jpg
    ,scan1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 0

jay42782

Seaman Apprentice

wow!! you guys are great!

sorry bout that i was away from the computer to see you guys chiming in.thank you all for the info and i will look further into this tomorrow!!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I'm not sure how close this is but it's from a '65-'66 33hp.

Attachments

• 1965-1966 33hp_wiring_diagram.JPG
    1965-1966 33hp_wiring_diagram.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 0

jay42782

Seaman Apprentice

hey guys,

im out in the garage trying to wire my lights and starter.i bought a solenoid for a ford ranger.so...my lights have a black,blue and grey.trying to figure what the grey and blue hook too.also running a key switch that is marked battery,solenoid,and ignition.i need some direction.getting confused.thanks!