Dual Battery Switch

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just got a dual battery switch and the directions really suck.

1. What size wire do I need to use?
2.Can I bolt the new wires to the existiting to make the conection and if so would brass bolts be better?

Thanks any info would be great!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dual Battery Switch

If you think about it a bit, doesn't it make sense that all of the battery cables that connect to the switch need to be the same size or larger than the existing battery cables? High current to operate the starter passes through these cables so wire of less than that size would smoke in an instant. Yes, you can bolt the connections but large butt splices are much better, can be sealed better and in the long run cause fewer issues.

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not sure what gauge they use for the battery cables. A butt splice will work great, thanks for the info

flawet

Cadet

Splicing or bolting is fine to check things out ... are you married? ... if so and you go out on the boat together then you really ought to buy the propper overal length of continuous cable, signififantly larger than you currently have since your resistance is increaing with the extended length. Then there is that pesky "I wonder if it is the slice?" concern. It will be cheaper in the long run that replacing a regulator, stater, or ? that can get fried at the most inopportune times (From experience). Tow bills can be expensive. Dead batteries mean no VHF (keep a handheld as well). Sorry, all lessons learned from "been there done that".

Either way, get out on the water and have a good!