odd drains exit below waterline

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, so I didn't notice this when I first inspected the bottom. After I blew off the scum, the two drains were apparent.

The boat in the avatar has two "lockers" in the bow that have drains. I knew they had drains but mistakenly thought they went aft. The drains go right down and exit the boat under the water line. There were 5 plugs in the boat and we were only running with two in when I went for a long test ride with the previous owner (the motor well and now discovered two front lockers weren't plugged).

Does it seem normal that the drains exit under the waterline? There were life jackets stored in the lockers without the plugs. I'd have assumed that water would enter that space under way with no plugs; especially just manuevering the boat around the dock with someone standing in the bow.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: odd drains exit below waterline

the motor well is not to be plugged. the others make no sense.

CATransplant

Admiral

I had a Glastron trihull that had a livewell next to the side console, It had a drain, or whatever, just below it in the bottom of the hull. I don't use a livewell, so I kept the drain plug in in the livewell. I guess it's not that uncommon.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found a photo of the same model online (Henry O Mckee 150) with the compartment open- My boat doesn't have the pedestal chair inset. Notice no plug and they have jackets in the second compartment too. I read somewhere online that the compartments were referred to as 'ice chests' Not much Henry O McKee info on the net.

What are the risks with this type of drain? I was concerned about water intrusion in the bottom and I've checked the hull and it is solid around the opening. This is the most solidly built boat I've owned.

The second issue seems to be that I'd expect sloshing to impact whatever was stored there, but the jackets are in good condition.

I plan to leave the plugs out when the boat is on the trailer, but put all 4 in before I launch.

Attachments

• drains.jpg
    drains.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it was probably an option, at the factory. just put the plugs in.