Do you disconnect o/b fuel plug for transport?

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer
Somewhere along the line, and way back when, I was taught to connect the
fuel plug for an outboard at the boat launch before using the boat. That
includes disconnecting the fuel plug when done using the boat at the launch.

Recently I talked with a couple folks who told me that they never disconnect
their o/b fuel plug. They also have not had any motor problems for the few
years they have had their motors.

I always wonder if I am letting some mini dirt particles into the fuel system
every time I reconnect the fuel line.

What are the pros and cons of o/b fuel plug disconnect?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Do you disconnect o/b fuel plug for transport?

If the engine does not need to be tilted upward when the boat is trailered, there is no real need to disconnect the line. However, if the engine is tilted, and the engine is carbureted, the tilted engine can allow the floats to open which allows fuel to flow into the carbs overflowing them and running into the engine or even running out of the cowl. This is not good for the engine and presents a fire hazard. EFI/DFI engines don't have this problem. Dirt is not an issue since the plug is sealed when removed. Portable fuel tanks can build up a considerable amount of pressure in hot weather so it is possible that pressure can overcome the float and needle/seat causing the same flooding condition. It hurts nothing to disconnect it.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I unhook it on my Starcraft because it has protable tanks that can build pressure (vent closed for transport) and pump more fuel to the carbs. I unhook at the tank because I feel the fittings are better protected from dirt and stuff.

On my Sea Ray, I don't unhook because the tank is vented and won't build the pressure to force fuel to the bowls. It also doesn't have a quick disconnect. Haven't had a problem so far, but have only had that boat this year. Haven't noticed where any fuel spilled inside the cowl.

Both are towed with the motor tilted.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The other reason to disconnect the fuel line was that on some boats the splashwell was not large enough to allow the engine to be put into the tilted position without the fuel line connector hitting the splashwell and breaking off.

BTW - A lot of todays larger outboards do not even have the quick disconnects, so the question is mute.