86 Stratos 179v dual console

jdp8488

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just received a bass boat with brand new floors and transom. Hull is in great shape but everything needs to be reassembled. I want to paint the floor and all the compartment lids with non skid paint. I am basically just wanting to turn it into a flats boat. What all needs to be looked into when turning a freshwater boat into saltwater? It needs new livewell pumps, bilge, and thats really about it, some of the guages may need to be replaced as well. Any help would be great. Thanks. -Justin

Stoutcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 86 Stratos 179v dual console

Hi Justin,

If I understand you...

Two issues concerning saltwater... First, don't let it sit in an engine (especially over Winter). Here on Cape Cod we try to end any salt-water trip with a fresh-water purge or we use muffs.

You spoke of... "It needs new livewell pumps, bilge, and thats really about it, some of the guages may need to be replaced as well." Are you looking for sources for those?

Alan

jdp8488

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No sir, I am just wanting to know how to make the boat saltwater worthy. Ive always heard, "do not put a bass boat in saltwater, you will start to see corrosion soon after." I just want to know how to go about turning this bass boat into a saltwater flats boat. I was planning on non skid paint over whole deck and storage doors instead of carpet. Other than that is there any difference in a saltwater and freshwater boat?

Stoutcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the clarification...

Here's my $.02 worth,

* As far as I know, the hull material/resin is the same across boat styles... I don't think that that would be an issue... Salt water may make your bass boat lose its shine quickly, but it shouldn't fall apart.

* The following thread speaks volumes: http://www.ncangler.com/forums/17/bass-boat-salt-water-5279-post34916.html#post34916

* Ditto for this article: http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?ID=1221679

* Chrome vs. stainless... Yeah, chrome will pit without care.

All told, for flat water, I'd say go for it, and thoroughly wash the boat/motor/trailer immediately afterwards. Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Alan

jdp8488

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well appreciate the info. One of those websites said a bass boats wiring is open to corrosion with salt water. Hope I do not have to rewire the boat, that would be a real bummer. The wires are already up high near the top cap so I dont think I will have to worry.