Do I need to replace my starter?

malarky

Seaman Apprentice
I went to start my 1990 Candia 180 4.3l yesterday and got a click-click. It was fresh battery- a month old and just off the charger so I knew I had juice. I keep it up and got the starter to engage, but not before the negative battery cable got super hot. It finally kicked it enough to start the motor.

This was its final trip of the season as the next port of call was the trailer and then my driveway.

Do I need to replace the starter? I assume the starter is located on the underside of the engine. If so will the engine need to be removed?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Do I need to replace my starter?

Try inspecting the battery cables and the electrical connections in the start circuit. By inspecting, I mean remove, inspect/clean and reinstall the connections, don't just "look" at them.

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hi there yes try to check all the cables and connections first, and I think is located on the left side of the engine I just replace mine and was really hard to take out, another thing be sure you use a marine starter not automotive here is a link they have good prices http://spidermarine.com/

malarky

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks- I will inspect. What lead me to believe the starter/solenoid may be shot is the fact that the battery terminal got so hot. I smell it first, and when I put my hand on it, got a really nasty burn on my thumb.

Bondo

Staff member

What lead me to believe the starter/solenoid may be shot is the fact that the battery terminal got so hot. I smell it first, and when I put my hand on it, got a really nasty burn on my thumb.

Ayuh,....

Anytime you have an electrical issue that involves resistence,...
The place that's getting Hot,... Is the Problem.....

Clean your wiring connections,.....;)

chiefalen

Captain

What is amazing to me is that smart people, don't seem to get the fact that it takes 2 connections to make a circuit.

If there is a positive there must be a negative somwhere.

And over and over again i post to clean the negative ground.

If your battery cables are good, and shiny clean, than follow the negative cable to the ground.

Take it off and clean it, shiny clean.

Please disconnect your positive cable first.

Also the cable connections on the starter, when were they cleaned last?

Clean them but leave the positive cable off till your finished.

Also when your done and all hooked up and running good please spray all the connections with corrosion pro will keep them good and clean.

Good luck.