Powder Post Beetle Damage

newboaterFL

Recruit
Has anyone had to deal with powder post beetle infestation? We just took delivery of a new yacht that is infested and the manufacturer is not very responsive and are unsure how to proceed. Does anyone know how much damage can be done?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Powder Post Beetle Damage

vast amount of damage, i understand, the only cure is to tent the boat. they eat the inside of the wood, with out disturbing the exterior.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Newboater, sorry about your bug problem. This is actually more common then you might think. Powder post beetles will eat your boat up, plain and simple. Are you positive is powder post? You're in FL, and another common boat infester is the drywood termite. There are a few others, but those are the most frequent on boats.

There is a very good chance that your yacht manufacturer has a standing contract with a major pest control company (Terminix, Orkin) for warranty claims regarding this. I know Terminix is partnered with numerous custom yacht builders around the country.

Tashasdaddy is correct, the only >99% success of elimination is with whole-structure fumigation (tenting). Powder post beetles are more expensive to tent for, because they require 4x's the gas as drywood termites.

First I would find out if your builder warrants against this. Then I would have the infestation confirmed (drywood, powder post, etc.) by a pest inspector. Once infestation is identified, you can proceed with correct elimination.

If by chance it's drywood termites, you can try and have it spot-treated, but I'd only recommend that if the area of infestation is confined. Multiple areas of infestation will require tenting. With whatever treatment is needed, I strongly recommend using a national company. I know Terminix will guarantee against future infestation, and all resulting new damage. Advantage with a national company, is if you relocate the vessel, the warranty will follow you to your new port. If you're in the Tampa area, PM me.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

We just took delivery of a new yacht that is infested and the manufacturer is not very responsive

Sorry for your trouble, but did you have someone do a pre-delivery inspection? Regardless, I would be UN-delivering it right back to them. That condition is unacceptable. They know what to do...they just do not want to it sounds like ($). What does your warranty say?