handeling issues

briguy2817

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took the boat, a 1987, 19 foot Capri Bowrider out for a long ride yesterday. This was the first real run for me and the "new boat". I love this thing, especially considering all the past boats were propelled by small engines and trolling motors.

Anyway, let me explain my problem. When the motor is trimmed in all the way, I have a tremendous amount of torque steer to the right. I adjusted the trim tab all the way over but it has made no change. AS I get up to plane, I adjust the motor up and the torque steer goes away about 90%. Is this normal?

I also have a small crack in the cavitation plate, their is a chunk of metal missing about the size of a dime and one edge is twisted up. Would this be causing any of my problems?

Another thing, As we hit our top speed, the boat seems very unstable in choppy water or when hitting other boats wakes. Back the speed down and it is much better. Their was one point yesterday that I thought we were going to flip after hitting a wake like this. If I install the trim tabs, would this help stability issues?

And one more question, I took a sharp turn and powered outthrough it, the boat had a severe lean angle on it, and it didn't want to straighten back out on me. I had to actually stop the boat and take off straight for it to be better. The weight is distributed pretty evenly but even so, what the hell happened there?

Thanks for any help you guys(and gals) can give.

Brian

briguy2817

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: handling issues

Re: handling issues

So, I guess no one has any idea on what is causing this to pull. Has no one else experienced this problem and not had it cured by adjusting the trim tab? What about the prop? Could it be wrong for the boat, it's a 13X17. I could go buy another and see if this is the problem but this would be throwing money at the problem.

As far as the double post, it's not. The previous post was only on the pulling issues. It was replied by a couple of people then it dies out. I was merely stating other some other issues that may be related, or not.

Brian