Dumb Question...i Know.>>> But???

bluebrownie

Petty Officer 1st Class
i am attempting to sell my johnson 1972 50 hp motor... someone asked me if it is longshaft or shortshaft.... How do i tell the difference....?
tx

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dumb Question...i Know.>>> But???

Measure it! Measure from the transome bracket (the part that sits on the transom) to the antiventilation plate which is the plate just above the prop. 15 inches = short shaft, 20 inches = long shaft.

bluebrownie

Petty Officer 1st Class

you mean from the "top" of the transom mount to the antiventilation plate...correct... tx

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

From the underneath portion of the transom bracket, the portion that would actually touch the top of the transom.

If you think of the transom bracket as an upside-down 'L' and 'J' put together, measure form where the interior edge of the L and J meet LJ. You can also measure your actual transom- Using a measuring diagram I found on Google by searching "long shaft of short shaft" I noticed that a boat's transom shown as 16 in. was using a short shaft "15 in". Don't split hairs. There is, almost always, either 15" (short shaft) 20" (long shaft) or 25" (extra long shaft). If you find yourself within a few inches of one of these measurements, you've done it right.