stainless exhaust risers 5.7 keep or replace 1995

fdwengen

Seaman Apprentice
Unfortunately I just blew my motor 1995 5.7 , busted a ring. I plan on changing the exhaust manifolds, but not sure if the risers
Need to be changed they are mercruiser stainless steel and look in great shape. How do I know if they need to be replaced?
Will they work with all the aftermarket manifolds?
Thanks
Frank

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: stainless exhaust risers 5.7 keep or replace 1995

So you already have the stainless steel riser, right? If so, don't change them. You know they need to be replaced if they are all rusty and flaky inside, or cracked internally (or externally).They will be fine, unless they are cracked. They should bolt right up to any aftermarket manifolds that are supposed to be "OEM Replacements".

fdwengen

Seaman Apprentice

I plan on keeping them, only one person told me there were problems with the stainless risers, has anyone else had any problems with the stainless steel risers?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

The only problem with them comes if you are boneheaded enough to run them dry.
The stock Mercruiser SS Risers (and they were not replacements, they were standard equipment on some engines) are quite a nice and $$$ upgrade.

fdwengen

Seaman Apprentice
Exhuast Y-Pipe internal pitting how to repair

Exhuast Y-Pipe internal pitting how to repair

Exhaust Y-Pipe internal pitting how to repair overall it is in very good shape inside I noticed 2 places with pitting is there a way to fill in these pitts?
JB weld? Epoxy? They don't go all the way through but I would like to prevent from happening
Link to photos
http://picasaweb.google.com/frankwengen/ExhaustPipe1995Rinker#

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Exhuast Y-Pipe internal pitting how to repair

Ayuh,...

I'd replace that Y-pipe,....

Any 1 of those pits could sink your boat....

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I had SS elbows on my old V6 for 10 years... Was one of the sad things about selling the engine. I couldn't use them on the new engine, so they went with the old one. As it turned out, a friend bought the old engine and he's over the moon about never having to replace them. And I'm left with the crappy cast iron ones on the new engine :(

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Exhaust Y-Pipe internal pitting how to repair overall it is in very good shape inside I noticed 2 places with pitting is there a way to fill in these pitts?
JB weld? Epoxy? They don't go all the way through but I would like to prevent from happening
Link to photos
http://picasaweb.google.com/frankwengen/ExhaustPipe1995Rinker#

I would follow Bondo's advice here Frank,

replace it. a corroded thru hole when you're not looking could absolutely sink your boat!!

Regards.

Rick

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Quick question... Are you using leaded fuel? or a lead additive? These corrosion pits look a lot like the sort I use to see in outboards before the ban on leaded fuel...

Chris.............

fdwengen

Seaman Apprentice

Chris,
I have been using unleaded fuel 89 or better my boat is on the Hudson river all summer so I use the gas I can buy usually Marine grade from Panco
When I trailer it once a year I put the highest grade in
So no one thinks JB weld is a good option it is only one pit but I know thats all it takes