'85 35 hp evinrude no power under load

jsiets

Recruit
i have a 85 35 hp evinrude on a 77 14ft lund aluminum boat that has no power under load. i bought the boat and it was only running on one cylinder, traced that down to being a bad power pack and coil wires that had grounded to the engine block. got that all fixed.

the boat starts and idles fine it will rev up in neutral and in reverse as soon as you put it in forward gear the engine will not rev up, my propeller is a little beat up previous owner found a couple rocks i think, but that should still allow it to rev up i would think. the propeller has a 10x12 stamped on it

i am new to the boating world worked on cars for a while but thats a whole nother ball game. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

James R

Commander
Re: '85 35 hp evinrude no power under load

Could be you still have only one cylinder working. Check compressions first. They should be even or within a few lbs. Next would be a carb service. Next would be syncronization. It is also possible that the fly wheel has slipped. They have been known to move if an aftermarket key has been used.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree, is this a tiller or remote motor.

jsiets

Recruit

it a remote operated, that one of the previous owners installed. the compression tested out at 120 lbs on both cylinders. the key on the flywheel appears to be straight and it doesn't look like it has moved. it only has one carb which i have pulled apart and cleaned already. i am going to pull the plugs on it in the morning and see how they are burning.

jsiets

Recruit

i was thinking would it be possible that the timing is not advancing and hence not allowing the engine to rev up under load, just an idea that i thought of, thanks again for all of your help so far it is greatly appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

very possible. with the cover off, move the throttle lever, and see if the timing plate is moving. it also could be link n sink,

jsiets

Recruit

i will go check that tonight here thanks.