Flapper disc sanding idea-no itch!

redfury

Commander
I was thinking about how I can avoid itching like a dog with fleas when I start getting into my boat again. I'm going to go the flapper route for the really bad "grinding" phase and was thinking....what if I were to wet sand? If I had a decent drain going, I could let the water run right out the back of the boat and keep a constant stream going where I'm working and keep the dust suspended in water instead of the air...

Any thoughts?

Otherwise I was thinking of concocting a device/design that would allow my shop vac to capture most of it.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Flapper disc sanding idea-no itch!

I was thinking about how I can avoid itching like a dog with fleas when I start getting into my boat again. I'm going to go the flapper route for the really bad "grinding" phase and was thinking....what if I were to wet sand? If I had a decent drain going, I could let the water run right out the back of the boat and keep a constant stream going where I'm working and keep the dust suspended in water instead of the air...

Any thoughts?

Otherwise I was thinking of concocting a device/design that would allow my shop vac to capture most of it.

Just buy some disposable coveralls with elastic on the sleeves and pants, and with a hood and a respirator too. I just ordered some from Galeton.com. The coveralls were $1.95 each, the 2000 series respirator was $26, plus the cost of the filters and filter housings. The respirator is a surprisingly good quality item. It fits well and doesn't block your view when looking down like some of the respirators with the filters high up. Breathing is not impared at all, no restrictions. Also, a box 50pr of long cuff heavy latex gloves was $10. All this stuff is good quality at the lowest price I could find.

BTW, I am 5' 8" 180lbs and ordered the Large jump suit (#9912) . If you are larger than me get a bigger size, as this suit fits like a glove!

I strongly reccomend you drop a few bucks on this stuff. It will make your life much easier. Plus you can use it as a HASMAT costume for Halloween!

mtchess

Recruit

I was thinking of the same idea. I would use air tools. That way their is no danger of electrical shock.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

im kinda confused in your process red.....a 7 inch flaper on a grinder will do 7000 rpm.....any water that comes into contact with will be thrown away real fast.......youll have a completely coated garage.....just as sure as if you painted it...:eek:....you move the grinder around fast enough that a "box" around it to catch the water spray would just get in the way.

so i guess i dont see your whole concept. can you walk me thru it a little more? the only thing i have found is a biohazard suit.....(tyvec)

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

What I do is after getting all 'suited up' I have my son - or some other unlucky person - who is also 'suited up' hold the shop vac as close to my work as possible. Does the job on taking away a lot of the sanding dust.
I guess my statement is pretty meaningless if you can't muster up a volunteer . :redface:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

What I do is after getting all 'suited up' I have my son - or some other unlucky person - who is also 'suited up' hold the shop vac as close to my work as possible. Does the job on taking away a lot of the sanding dust.
I guess my statement is pretty meaningless if you can't muster up a volunteer . :redface:

Just duct tape the shop vac hose to your forearm with about a foot sticking past your cuff and it will work just fine! :D

redfury

Commander

The electrical shock value is the bigger concern, but I was thinking along the lines of a 4 1/2 inch Makita grinder with the smaller flapper sander discs with a garden hose supplying the water to the work area, much like milling metal with an oil bath. IF there was enough water, the flapper won't get to throw the water, it'll act like an impeller to a degree, but if there is enough water flow, it'll saturate it enough to cause a bit of a hydraulic effect to reduce some of the "slinging".

TVEC suit is a must, as well as gloves and respirator. I can get a CASE of suits for $75 locally. I was just thinking of a way to eliminate the dust from becoming airborne, as that is the biggest problem with grinding the stuff.

Otherwise, it would be the vacuum idea with a home built attachment to the grinder to suck the dust before it becomes a problem.

i386

Captain

Good luck with that.:)