1995 sport jet motor- should I buy

wasl1k2

Recruit
I have an opurtunity to buy a 1995 Mirage jet boat with a 120 sport jet motor. The boat, trailer, accessories look to be in good shape. They say the motor needs some work. From what I can tell the motor is making a slight rod knocking noise and the carburetor needs a rebuild. I can get this for about $1900 and am wondering what the best and worst cases may be on getting the repairs done, money wise. Any thoughts on if this would be a deal for money, with some elbow greese time of mine, with an average/ basic knwoledge of motor repairs. Plus, where can you get these repair parts, or a replacement engine? Please help me make a decision, if I should buy? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1995 sport jet motor- should I buy

Plus, where can you get these repair parts, or a replacement engine?

That boat is a rather large Jetski,....

We deal with I/Os here,... You'll get Better answers in the Jetski forum....

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 95 Sea Ray SeaRayder jet boat with a 90 hp sportjet. We bought it 6 or 7 years ago. The 90 is a 3 cylinder, the 120 a 4-cylinder; the service manual is the same for both.

Because the engine is essentially a Merc OB powerhead on a jet pump drive, any mechanic familiar with Merc engines should be able to work on it.

That said, I would urge caution. We had starting issues a couple years ago and took it to a local marina for work. In retrospect, all it needed was a carb rebuild, but this mechanic focused on ignition - replaced the stator and most ignition electronics and never did address the carburetor problems. He put the wrong flywheel back on with no flywheel key, and failed to properly torque most engine parts he'd disassembled. As a result the engine self-destructed requiring a major overhaul (new pistons, rebored cylinders, etc) -- but we took it to a different marina we could trust for this work. In that rebuild, an oil injector was installed from Mercury that proved to be defective, so it's getting yet another rebuild right now. Be very careful who you have work on it.

If you search in this forum, you'll find many discussions on the plus and negatives of jetboats (for some, look for my posts).

My recent experience colors my thoughts, I'm sure, but knowing what I know now, I'd probably buy an outboard rather than a jet if I had to do it over. The primary reason, though, is the very poor gas 'mileage' of the mid-90's sportjets and performance (poor hole shot) less than I expected. I'm not sure the size / weight of the Mirage you're looking at. My SeaRayder is 13.5' weighing around 600-700# dry. Due to power loss inherent in older jet drives, my 90 hp is underpowered. I don't know how that'd translate for the one you're looking at.

Newer jetboats seem to have resolved many of these issues. Friends of ours have an '01 16' SeaDoo with much more power and fuel economy than ours.

HTH
Al

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

i was looking at one of these this summer for a kind of a tender run about but still tow behind our big boat. we didnt want a jet ski because we wanted to stay dry, haul our dog, and sometimes fish. after checking in the jet ski topics here we passed.
you might want to check there to. these ar'nt in production any more and have there share of problems. i think ski doo maybe still makes something like this and if thats what you realy want you might look at them. new they are more than we want to spend and didnt seem to be a lot of used ones around.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

overpriced, and will probably have to have the engine rebuilt. pass on it. they are also very gas hungry, compared to a propped boat.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

My brother had one in a little velocity (I think it was 18') it blew up after only a couple hours and then was replaced under warrantee.

It ran 43mph on gps and made it from Daytona to St. Augustine on about 15 gallons of gas.

It's basically just a outboard power head, so your looking at wether or not the powerhead can be rebuilt or if it needs replacing.