Moving transducer closer to keel

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer
I have noticed that at any planing speed I loose visabililty on my 383c Humminbird. Just a bunch of distortion. I've incresaed noise filter and decreased surface clutter settings. Still not satisfied. I have looked over the transom while moving and can see the transducer so I think it should be lower. My hull is full of ribs so I'm limited to installation sites. Instructions say 15" minimum from prop, however, they failed to state if that meant 15" side to side, or just 15" to the side or in front of it? If the latter is acceptable, I can use the previous install hole seen below. Looking at this picture, what do ya'll think?
Photo_091008_003.jpg

jevery

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Moving transducer closer to keel

Looks like it's too high up from the pad for good contact at speed. I'd try the next step down and see how it does there. Has it been there before or was that a mounting point for a different unit?​

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Both are mountin places from different unit. I bought the boat with an old fishfinder that had two transducers on it. I ripped every single wire out of the boat after I bought it so I never tried them out. My new unit has a combo 20/60degree transduser so I mounted it as far from the prop as possible in previously drilled holes. I'll try the ones closer to the prop and see what the tradeoff is.

gss036

Commander

You should seal up all those old holes, you don't want to allow water to get inside the transom and rot the wood.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, All of the old holes are all already sealed as well as any through hull fitting would be. Thanks