Thoughts Please -

sonny08

Cadet
May go look at a 93 - 2200 SL Chaparral - 5.7 Merc with probably a Alpha Drive. Boat looks very clean from numerous pictures emailed to me. Person selling is second owner. Boat always kept stored with cover. Has new Bimini & new cockpit cover. Trailer has new bunks, carpet & hardware. Bottom has just been painted by the Marina shop.

No hour meter - Owner is guessing maybe around 500. He had a complete survey done before he bought the boat 3 years ago - ( 16 page report )

Comes with a bumpers - dock lines - new ship/shore radio - & 2 new batteries & a custom made for this boat Eagle double axle trailer with surge brakes

Engine appears clean from the pictures - a little surface rust here & there but does not appear to have run hot. Love the fact that even though the engine is a 5.7 - there is plenty of room in & all around the engine compartment. Cuddy, Seats Hull all look clean & very nice plush looking seats

Boat is 3.75 hours away ( sure wish it was closer) & could be had for $5,000 cash.
I know the Chaparral is a very respected manufacturer & should be a good boat for Lake Erie. Owner did say that after boating all day - sometimes there maybe a cup or 2 of water in the bilge - IS THIS NORMAL ?

Does anyone have any experience with this model of Chaparral, is this a great Hull or just ok ? & What would the top speed be - ( Speedo is not working ) with this boat?

Thankyou for your help

Sonny

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Thoughts Please -

22' is not hardly big enough to enjoy Lake Erie in my opinion. I went out on what was described as the best day in three summers (by my dad) in a 23' Chap cuddy, and it was nice, but it wasn't smooth.

I personally don't like the styling of those boats, but there are plenty of people that think the styling of the boats that came after them is not good. (I own a 1997 Chap 2135).

If people are boarding the boat while wet, then the water in the bilge is normal.

The fact that it's a trailerable boat, but has been bottom painted means that it's been slipped in the water all summer. A survey to check the conditon of the hull is not a bad idea. If the bottom paint wasn't applied over an epoxy barrier coat, then blistering is a real possibility.

Chaparral boats are good solid boats. But that boat is also 15-16 years old. Things happen in that time. But if it makes you feel better, my sister's 1990 Chap 2350 cuddy has a real solid feeling hull and deck.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

this sounds to me like a good deal. if you are going to buy and just looking for the best deal i would take the time and make the drive.
22' mignt not be the ideal erie boat but it is a good size to trailer with a 1/2 ton suv or pu. depending on how many persons are going to boat with you its plenty of room for a couple but big enough for kids and freinds and water sports. 500 hours would be a about right for that age and 5.7 is a big +
the extra equipment do'snt add anything to the value of the boat but if they are in good condition can save you a few hundred if you dont have to buy.
i'm betting if you show up with cash, test drive it for a hour or two and prove to be a moviated buyer you can cut a better deal than 5000.
IMHO

sonny08

Cadet

Decided to take a pass - Turns out the boat is over 4 hours away - so the search continues. Certainly seems to be a lot of boats up for sale.

Anyone know of any good boat auction sites in Northeast Ohio area?

Sonny

ITech

Recruit
Re: Thoughts Please - Boat Auctions in NE

Re: Thoughts Please - Boat Auctions in NE

Just off the top of my head I know National Liquidators has several locations one of which is in Cleveland, OH.
Also, www.boatauctionsdirect.com is a legit source that offers boat auction companies in the NE.