2006 Optimax Shift Cables

Hey guys, I had a 2001 225 Optimax on my boat, but I upgraded to a 2006 200.. or downgraded... lol. Anyway, I am using the same remote control that was on the boat. right now, its incredibly hard, or harder than normal to shift forward and to accelerate. In nuetral and accelerating, its fine, and pretty easy. It has something to do with the shifting cable, the Acclerator cable is free, because as soon as I disconnect the shifter cable, its free and easy. I have tried adjusting them the best I can, and sometimes they shift fine, and sometimes it doesn't. I also have the cables to the other remote control that came with the engine. I didnt put it on because its the center console control, and mine is mounted on the side, for a walkaround. Can I possibly just switch out the cables? the length is perfect, but will they work with my old remote control? thanks guys.
Ed

Re: 2006 Optimax Shift Cables

well its not the cables, because i just got brand new cables, and no go. the exact same thing. i also did a test on a pretty new controller with the new cables, and nothing. its still exactly the same. i am totally stumped. its hard to shift and a little hard to accelerate. its too dangerous too operate the way it is, so i am screwed until i get this figured out, and i dont want to take it to the dealer because they'll charge me 150 to adjust something.. can someone send me a detailed diagram on how to adjust the shifting cables on a 2006 200 optimax please.
thanks

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2006 Optimax Shift Cables

you can put some grease on the control box side of the cables where the inner cable slide its brass on brass you might see brass filings there.also make sure your throttle cable is not set to tight against the block.you should be able to just push the throttle stop bolt away from the block with light pressure.