License check

I went fishing this weekend and a policeman came out of no where by boat. I was bank fishing and my license is in a little tube I wear around my neck. I had various items in the grass next to me, one of which was a razor blade knife. A pretty cool one that folds, anyway the officer was trying to pick my license out of the tube. I picked up the knife and offered it to him, to pick my license out. He says "where did you get that?". I replied, "you can get them at home depot for 10 bucks". About that time I had dropped the knife, and he replys "yeah, I know where to get them". He proceeded to check our license and wished us a good day. It wasnt untill the next day I realized I had, inocently had got gotten the drop on him with a "box cutter", while he was looking down. I imagine that I am not the only one that felt dumb, though!

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: License check

your probably lucky. I got pulled over once and told the officer I was licensed to carry and was not packing at that time. He had me get out of the car with his hand on his gun. What a Barney Fife. :rolleyes:

SoulWinner

Commander

Yeah, cops get pretty wired when a civilian around them is armed. Even if the civilian has a pant load more experience with firearms and even armed combat. I can see their point though, there are plenty of nutty people in the world.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey I don't blame them with all the nutcases out here, you never know when the next one you pull over will try to shoot you or not.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

This is why I always keep my hands on the steering wheel until the officer is standing beside my car. Once my license/registration/proof of insurance is requested I open the glove box and get them. I fi get stopped after dark I turn on the dome light so the interior is lit and the officer can see into my car as they approach. I know some of you distrust/hate police, but they are out there risking their lives to protect you. Doing little things like this to make them feel more at ease not only shows respect for their job, but also wins brownie points too. By the way I have no point son my license and haven't been stopped in over 3 years, and then it was for not wearing my seatbelt. Actually my interior was blue,a nd so was my Carhartt jacket so my shoulder belt blended in with my jacket. Boy did the cop feel like an idiot. I was glad he was doing his job!<br /><br />And you're all correct, there are a lot of nutcases out there.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

David,<br />I do the same. Hands on the wheel (at 10 and 2) and lights are on if it is nighttime. I've not had a ticket since I was in college (over 13 years ago) and I don't want another one. Anything I can do to make the officer comfortable is what I do. It's all "yes sir (mam), or no sir (mam)". It's about showing respect.<br /><br />I've only been stopped twice since college. Once for running a red light at 11pm in Mertyl Beach while I was showing my Dad the features on my new minivan about 5 years ago and a couple years ago in my neighborhood when the speed limit recently dropped in a zone and I habitually sped up at that area. <br /><br />I've got dark tinted windows in my truck now (legal in Florida). If I'm stopped again, I'll roll them down so the officer isn't spooked by not being able to see me.

ehenry

Commander

I also have a carry permit and when ever i'm asked for my drivers license the officer get my gun permit also. That way theres no question in anyone's mind. I alway comply with the officer's rerquests about the weapon no questions asked.

dolluper

Captain

Haven't had a ticket in years since I learn't to stay clear of doughnut shops :D

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

My respect for the officers out there doing their job. It is a thankless job that many do not appreciate as they think that the police are out there to harass them. But think of all the 'bad' dude that they put away so that you all can have a pecaeful time time with your family. My hat's off to them. One should always bear this in mind that once in a while there is a rotten apple among them and that is only human nature.

Marauderk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The only time i have been pulled over is when i have did something worth getting pulled over for lol. IE speeding i have much respect for police and there job as there are lots of nuts out there. <br /><br />But i did get pulled over once coming back from the shooting range and had 4 handguns in holsters on my body as i have a CCW and the officer never noticed them. His sargent was watching and came up and started telling him what he was doing wrong he then asked me to finish what i was trying to tell the officer<br /><br />i told him that i was carring a weapon the look on the face of his sargent was priceless when i removed 4 full size pistols and set them on my hood. They where ok with it but it taught bought of them a lesson

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> Haven't had a ticket in years since I learn't to stay clear of doughnut shops :D
Whats the issue with doughnuts? They are a staple!

Link

Rear Admiral

Except for 2 parking tickets, I havent had any tickets for at least 35 years.. but I have been pulled over many many many times.. like others if at night the dome light is turned on and windows down and hands on the wheel.. make it as easy for them as I can.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well when you consider the cost for being caught poaching (Some states you lose everything from your car/boat/tackle) no wonder officers are jumpy.<br /><br />I have had my hunting/fishing license checked many times and that seems to be the only evidence that fish and game are spending my money. Well yes they do drive nice boats and new trucks every year.