Different Hull Designs ....

PMH

Cadet
Hello All,<br /><br />I'm a bit new to the boating world and was hoping I could ask a few fundamental boating questions.<br /><br />Flat Bottom, V, Deep V, Tri-hull, Catamaran, pontoon(if that's even considered a hull) .... these are just a few of the hull terms I hear being tossed around. I can visually see the differnce in these hulls, but was wondering what makes each special. <br /><br />What advantages/disadvantages do these hulls have? Why choose one over the others?<br /><br />Thanks!<br />Patrick

D

DJ

Re: Different Hull Designs ....

PMH,<br /><br />Each of the hull types you mentioned have strengths and weaknesses.<br /><br />Tri-Hull, Cat, Pontoon, Flat. All of these hulls offer one strength-stability at rest. However all of these (except tri hull and flat) tend to rob horsepower and are not stellar performers-speedwise. Some will debate that the cat. is the way to go now, but most cats. require dual engines and are wide-a major consideration for towing.<br /><br />Tri hulls and flat bottoms tend to ride a bit rougher in choppy seas.<br /><br />V-Hulls. There are many compromises here also. Generally, v-hulls tend to ride better, yet they can be "tender" at rest (read tippy). A severe deep v can also be somewhat fuel thirsty.<br /><br />Tell us what you are looking at and what you'll use it for and we'll happily make suggestions.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Wow Patrick,<br />Is that all??<br />This could turn into a committee project so I'll start off with the first one you ask about. A flat bottom hull which is what its name implies, flat. No dead-rise. (Someone else will no doubt cover deadrise for you.)<br />Flat bottom hulls, like all the rest, is a comprise. Being flat it gets on plane (out of the water and on the water) easily and once on plane it goes relatively fast, depending on how much power is available. Probably the most undesirable feature of a flat bottom is it rides like a square-wheeled wagon. It "feels" every ripple and wave on the water and passes them right along to who ever is in the boat. They can also be difficult to control because they want to "skip" along the surface of the water. Depending on the chine configuration, they can be hard to turn.<br />Now someone else will take over and explain somemore stuff.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here's a link to a sight I found very informative when I first got into this world of boating 2 yrs ago.<br /><br />Boat Hull Design<br /><br />Hope it helps some. Two other terms you can pick up from that site are "displacement hull" vs "planing hull".<br /><br />BL...

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Pontoons are great for load carrying ability and stability. They also move thru the water at moderate speeds with very little HP and have a very smooth ride in light chop. BUT in a 2' chop they tend to "torpedo" thru the waves at speed and this is very destructive to the upper structure where everybody is sitting. So this is a protected water type craft.<br /><br />Who's next?

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I'll try the deep-v and moderate-V hulls. <br /><br />A deep-V boat has steep angled sides (primarily below the waterline down to the keel) that look like a "v" and a more vertical bow rake (the angle of the front of the boat as it slopes forward and up from the water to the deck). This enables the boat to cut through waves which greatly reduces "pounding" which is the jolt you feel when a planing hull rides up a wave and then falls down the other side. Just about any serious sea going full planing pleasureboat has a deep v hull (A Grady White is a classic deep-v boat). Major exceptions are the Whaler hull, the new power cats and those big performance boats.<br /><br />The deepness of the V hull varies significantly between builders. There is always a compromise. Flatter bottomed moderater v-hulls go faster and use less fuel. This is doubly so because they are usually much lighter because they are built less sturdily on the assumption they will be used in good weather and to make them trailer friendly. These flatter hulls are also more stable on smaller boats in good weather (but not in bad weather!) although you won't notice this much in boats larger than 17 feet. A Bayliner Capri is a classic light moderate V hull which opts for fairweather comfort and speed. You can tow an old 16' capri with a bicycle (ok, two bicycles)<br /><br />You want to buy your V-hull as flat as you can and still address the waves it will face. The perfect hull is a matter of great debate but it depends on what you want. If you boat only in good weather on small lakes you don't need a deep-v. If you boat in the open ocean in any weather, you do. Somewhere in between where most of us boat, you have to decide if you are mainly a fairweather sheltered water boater or if you want the option of going wherever you want. <br /><br />Who's next?

PMH

Cadet

Thanks for all the replies guys!<br /><br />I live in New Orleans, Louisiana, so I have access to rivers, lakes, bays, and the Gulf of Mexico. This is a great place to live if you love boating.<br /><br />I mainly ski in the local rivers and lakes. But I do like to go out and fish the shoreline and close platforms in the gulf. <br /><br />My current boat was handed down to me a year ago from my father. Its a 18ft Bayliner Capri with a Force 125. Its great for Skiing, but a little cramped for fishing. It hadles protected waters great, but on the larger lakes with the wind kicking, forget about it.<br /><br />So, what's a whaler hull?<br /><br />Thanks for all your help!<br />Patrick