To rebuild or different boat?

captmello

Captain
Hi all,

I've spent my first summer with my first boat in the I/O service forum getting/keeping my boat going. I now am trying to decide whether or not to tear up my floor and stringers and rebuild my current boat or buy a different one.

I've got a 1988 Baretta Success 20' bowrider. Naturally, I read some "not so encouraging" info about this brand after I bought it. They seem to have a history of rotten stringers and hull design issues.

I can see that the stringers are in some state of rot and the floor is soft in spots. The hull still seems straight and good.

As I said I've got a lot of time into the sterndrive. I've got a rebuilt 5.7ltr Volvo Penta with a 275 outdrive which is in good operating condition. The motor now runs great and the boat really works good mechanically.

My only concern is that the Volvo Penta outdrive does not have power trim. It would be nice to have in the area I live in with shallow areas and such. I know its not the outdrives fault but is part of my decision process.

I've considered trying to buy a boat with a bad motor, and putting mine in, but then I'd have to learn my way around another boat with a new list of issues. I don't have a large budget but I am capable of doing the work.

Some feedback and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: To rebuild or different boat?

a lot of boats of that era had problems, trying to meet the demand for boats. my guess would be to estimate the cost involved, with either choice.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I have not heard of an outdrive not having power trim. I thought that was pretty much standard on all brands & models, at least from the 1970s on up.

As for the boat, only you can make the final call. As it is now, you have a running power system. If the plan is to either make the boat work for it, or get another boat for it, you would need to remove it either way. If you're going to remove it, it won't hurt or cost much to dig into the boat, as you can't sell it for much with the issues it has. Find out exactly how deep you'd need to go and reassess as you go along. You might find you enjoy the process. Or you might find you hate it. All it will have cost you is a few saw blades, some knuckle rash, and some dust masks. Good luck!
- Scott

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Cost is a factor,Time and the amount of work you want to put in it.if you do repair it yourself you then know what you have and its not the question of what did I buy

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay, that is the million dallor question , frist do you like the hull design ?? If you get one with a blowen motor , you really dont know what that one is like , more then likely it we have problem also !! so i say if you really like this one go for it !! john

colobiker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hello,

I have a question for you.

I am working on buying an early 80's baretta sucess.. bow rider (17 or 18 foot).. what problems have your heard with the baretta success series??:eek:

I love the looks of this boat.. :cool: yea the stingers are shot. and I dont know if it runs.. but the engine looks like new.. and has pretty low hours (judging by the gauges, which doesnt mean much)

the boat I am looking at.. has the 120hp I/O floor and stringers are pretty much gone.. hull in good condition, 1 patch, swim platform bimini top in great shape.. no seats. I have the guy down to $375.. ,,

like I said.. I am curious as to what you have heard

captmello

Captain

like I said.. I am curious as to what you have heard

If you search the forums under Baretta you'll find the comments.

Most involve what seem to be cost/corner cutting with the glassing of the stringers etc.

There is talk of design flaws but if theses boats have gone this far, they're hopefully okay.

I love the looks of this boat

My 20' Success is nice looking as well. Really hauls ***** with the 260 HP I/O. Speedo doesn't work but my wife won't let me go WOT anyway.

I'm still torn on living with the out of date outdrive however.

The boat also has stress cracking around the swim plaform but the transum and hull have no cracking except around the drain hole. I'm considering a budget restore, creating a sort of rat rod boat. Do the floor right but keep the interior basic, AKA homemade.

Thanks for the input.

captmello

Captain

Cost is a factor,Time and the amount of work you want to put in it.if you do repair it yourself you then know what you have and its not the question of what did I buy

I agree.

Can anyone guess what the cost may run for rebuilding the stringers and the floor. Materials only. I don't want to start something I can't finish.
The boat ran good this year, It's a good setup for my family.

Thanks again for the feedback!!

jcsercsa

Captain

I agree.

Can anyone guess what the cost may run for rebuilding the stringers and the floor. Materials only. I don't want to start something I can't finish.
The boat ran good this year, It's a good setup for my family.

Thanks again for the feedback!!

Well on mine i spent 7 to 8 hundred its a 15.6 tri-hull , but i used epoxy and eglass !! so if you went with poly and regular glass it should cost less !! John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok......first of all.....read scotts post twice......(chinewalker)

he says....and hes right....your boat isnt worth much any how...(right now)...so you gotta pull the motor and drive if you want a "new to you" old hull......

once the drive is out....as said....you gotta pull it any how......start ripping up the hull.......see how much there is to do......

but understand....any old hull....is gonna have issues......i doubt that you will be able to find one (an older hull)....with out issues......so what ever you buy.....your still at the rebuild stage.......

the cost can be less than 600 bucks...if you shop carefully....thats strings deck and transom......but more like 1000....because rollers....tray liners...aceitone....(get a 5 gallon pail) cost a lot.

so........since you want a boat.......you have a motor and drive.....find a hull you really like.......with the features you want........that could include your baretta hull.......

sorry it this post seems like its rambeling......its early here...and i was up late.
but i hope you can make sence of it