1990 50 hp Force with lower unit leak

tryn2fish

Recruit
My 50 hp had lower unit lube dripping from the prop area. I inspected the entire lower unit from the outside and there wasn't any lube coming from any other area. I pulled the prop off and then the part that seals the prop housing closed, black lube poured out with a bit of white streaking(water) in it when I got the part off. There was some fishing line caught on the prop shaft, looked like it had been there for awhile so I removed all of that and cleaned the prop housing out and let the lube drain out of the lower unit. My questions are these. Would the bad prop seal have caused the water to get into the lube in the lower unit??? If I replace that seal is that enough or should I just take the lower unit off and replace all the seals? When I put the prop seal on and reassemble what I have taken off, do I just refill the lower unit with lube as if I were winterizing the boat? I'm not an expert on boat motors but I have a friend who can help me with it if I need him too. Any advisement on this would be helpful.............thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 50 hp Force with lower unit leak

Yes.

There may be another leak, but try just the one seal first.
Then fill with lube.