Electronic Ignition Conversion - Timing Reset Required?

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All,

I have an '89 5.7 Cobra - points/condenser need replacing and I'm thinking about the Ignitor 2 electronic conversion with a new coil. My question is, I have read thru various posts here on the forum regarding this conversion, and have read that some just dropped the module in, did the necessary wiring for the ESA, and did NOT have to reset the timing....is this the case, or will I definitely have to reset the timing with this conversion....I'm pretty good around an engine, have just never set timing before nor have the equipment to do it...any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion - Timing Reset Required?

Timing CHECK is required. Timing adjustment may be required depending on what you see.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

if you loosen the bolt that holds the distributor down and turn the distro at all then yes you'll absolutely HAVE to reset the timing.
either way........ the timing should be checked every year when you do your yearly tune up........
............... that you probably don't do anyways......

the engines an OMC.... personally i wouldn't put any more money into it than I had to. Why bother with the expense of the pertronix, your not really going to get any extra performance out of the boat.
what's a set of points up to.... 7 bucks?

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you loosen the bolt that holds the distributor down and turn the distro at all then yes you'll absolutely HAVE to reset the timing.
either way........ the timing should be checked every year when you do your yearly tune up........
............... that you probably don't do anyways......

the engines an OMC.... personally i wouldn't put any more money into it than I had to. Why bother with the expense of the pertronix, your not really going to get any extra performance out of the boat.
what's a set of points up to.... 7 bucks?

I was really searching for insight here, not criticism. This boat is new to me this year, and I am in the process of resolving some minor maintenance that the previous owner lacked in doing.

In addition, your inference that I lack in performing yearly tune-ups is somewhat uncalled for, especially since you know nothing about me. My previous boat was extremely well cared for.

Lastly, the engine/outdrive was recently checked by an OMC certified technician and is in great condition - it was rebuilt less than 2 years ago, the outdrive was replaced 1 month before I purchased the boat - all receipts to show the work performed, and with the exception of having needed a shift cable adjustment and the aforementioned ignition parts, it runs very well. One would be severely lacking in intelligence to not invest a small amount of money in this motor, especially if said investment would allow the motor to function more efficiently. I am not looking for any performance gain by installing the electronic conversion. In the long run, a one time cost is less expensive than replacing points/condenser at the start of each boating season.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

sundowner said:
One would be severely lacking in intelligence to not invest a small amount of money in this motor

I have to disagree. I think one would be severely lacking intelligence to invest anything more into an OMC than they had to.
Besides......
Investment and Boat is about the biggest oxymoron in the world.
Investment, Boat, and then add OMC......
there's not even a word in the world for that one........

I'm sorry if I insulted your intelligence, and you are correct sir, my comments were uncalled for regarding your yearly tune-ups. It's just that anybody I ever come across that is looking to dump money into an OMC, in my experience, isn't to intelligent.

I still think that doing the points is cheaper. I said 7 bucks... but I get wholesale.
Depending on your distributor, here on iboats a points set, condensor, and rotor is eithe 13.99 or 14.99.... depending on what ya got.
Electronic conversion kit is either 112.99 or 138.99.... depending on what ya got.... and they don't come with rotors.
If i do the math.... 139 bucks, divided by 15 bucks, it's going to take you 9.2 years to break even. assuming the conversion kit, or the boat/engine itself lasts that long.
I don't know what your idea the long run is, but I stand by my original statement..... stick with points. And that sir, is my advice to you.

MikDee

Banned

My take on this is, Yes you must reset your timing once you put in the Pertronics, But, probably never have to again! ;) I do suggest you check it at least once a year at the beginning of the boating season though.

With points, every time they wear a bit, the timing must be checked, and possibly reset, if you were a stickler about this, you'd be doing it quite often, depending on how much you use the boat.

What Jason was pointing out, he doesn't think an OMC is worth it, but you maybe aware of this, and It's your boat, do as you want. "One man's junk, is another man's gold" or so they say.

You might see an overall improvement in performance, but the maintenance is virtually nil! Good Luck, & Happy Boating, Mike

hemidoc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have to disagree. I think one would be severely lacking intelligence to invest anything more into an OMC than they had to.
Besides......
Investment and Boat is about the biggest oxymoron in the world.
Investment, Boat, and then add OMC......
there's not even a word in the world for that one....

This does nothing to answer the OPs question and does more to make you appear to be a certain kind of hole.

Check the timing. A timing light at autobone is cheap or you could borrow one. And a manual is cheap as well.

mthieme

Captain

Sundowner,
You should check the timing.
I have a 4.3 OMC that I replaced with a Pertronix CDI a few seasons ago. I should have done it sooner. What a difference! I pitched those sorry a** points hit the drink and I never looked back...well worth the money.

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sundowner,
You should check the timing.
I have a 4.3 OMC that I replaced with a Pertronix CDI a few seasons ago. I should have done it sooner. What a difference! I pitched those sorry a** points hit the drink and I never looked back...well worth the money.

I think I'm going to opt for it; sounds like a good investment.

And just for the record, I have heard of more people around here having issues with Merc's than OMC's...

chiefalen

Captain

Jason first post of yours that didn't make YOU sound intelligent.

Having a bad day?

But i don't like that electronic dizzy. I stuck to the points, could have a free one right now.

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class

Plus, it will give me an excuse to buy a timing light....not that a man should ever NEED an excuse to buy another tool :D

45Auto

Commander

And just for the record, I have heard of more people around here having issues with Merc's than OMC's

Yeah, that's true. I never could figure out why though. I've also noticed on the automotive forums that more people have issues with Fords and Chevys than Dusenbergs. Strange, huh? :)

Maybe someone on here can figure out why .....

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, that's true. I never could figure out why though. I've also noticed on the automotive forums that more people have issues with Fords and Chevys than Dusenbergs. Strange, huh? :)

Maybe someone on here can figure out why .....

I see your logic :)

But I must say - around here (a small port village on the North shore of Long Island), we have a rather LARGE sailing community - the mooring field is about 75% if not more wind powered....however, from meeting fellow boaters around the marina & restaurants, to chatting with power boaters at the boat club, I would have to say that I/O's here are about a 50/50 mix of OMC/Volvo and Merc's...

45Auto

Commander

Wouldn't be surprised if the distribution is pretty regional, depending upon where the different brands concentrated on sales. Around here (southern Louisiana) the vast majority of boats are outboards. Moorings are probably 60%-70% power. From what I've seen, I would say that 80%-90% of the I/O's are Mercruisers.

Kind of interesting sales stats here:

http://www.rbbi.com/white/drives/stern.pdf

Shows how Mercruiser has always dominated the market. Says that Volvo's share of the market was 15% in 1983, 20% in 1998, and 20% in 2003. OMC was 10% in 1983.

Pretty much agrees with what I see around here.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In 1994, Volvo and OMC went into a joint venture that basically took the Cobra dog clutch style drive and put Volvo cone clutch insides in it. Then in 1998, OMC sold all to Volvo and went out of the sterndrive buisness completely. Gone, non existant, no more new OEM parts, and no more trained techs to service the OMC systems, no OEM service manuals being printed.
That is the only problem with OMC Cobra powered boats.
The engine the OP has is a standard Chevy 5.7. No problems there, parts are everywhere.

chiefalen

Captain

Look if i were to go buy a used boat right now, i would buy a volvo setup.

4.3 mpi.

Am i glad i have the old stringer no.

But it's what i can afford.

Things being the way they are now, looks like i have to stick with what i have.

With what i just went thru with the 23 year ole girl i have maybe 600 invested in her.

Where am i going to get a good running boat for 600 bucks cuddy cabin 19 footer?

All new parts me thinks im good for another 5 years besides usual things like impeller and such.

In my situation right now, and not dunking my 76'-70hp evinrude bow rider never kissed saltwater, in salt water, and still wanting to go fishing this year i think i made the right decision for me.

mthieme

Captain

Good information, but aftermarket parts are readily available (with the exception of trim cylinder caps :( .
It' also a long way to his distributor.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

myself I recall OMC being purchased outright by Volvo in the late 1995 period,however that was a long time ago.
nope, there are NO certified OMC techs anymore. even OMC outboards left about 1999 the stern drive division was sold off some years eailier.
if its a GM V engine the easist simplist way is to convert to EST.
plenty used units around,pick coils,caps,rotors and modules are readily avalible at any auto parts store as the only thing "marine" is the distributer body.
there were a few ford EST units but they are incredibly rare.
I have nothing really against points nor petronix but the EST does away with mechanical advance systems and can be eaisly wired into the OMC setup bypassing the ESA(eliminating yet another expensive part) and wire it like a merc with EST.
done it to many times when repowering with the indmar fuel spark package in the OMC.
were it me? either keep the points maintained,they worked well for years, or convert to EST due to relibility,simplicity and ease of parts procurment.