trim issues 1983 175 evin three wire system

Benny1963

Lieutenant
well hello every one. built my motor now my trimm is out .
who would have thought that ,lol
its a older three wire system with single relay .
It will go up but not down .relay is clicking when it gos up
I havent isolated the wires and jumped them ,
my seloc manual has horrible diagrams ,can one of you tell me of the three wires whats up and down ,any info on the three wire system
fell free to enlighten me .as usual thanks ahead of time .
and i will be hunting a three wire motor if any of ya got one around .
hope everyone is good ,

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: trim issues 1983 175 evin three wire system

Normally the GREEN wire controls the UP mode, and the BLUE wire controls the down mode.

The solenoid is used for the UP mode due to the lifting weight involved that demands full voltage which would other wise cause the wiring to become extremely hot (without the solenoid).

In the DOWN, voltage is applied directly to the BLUE wire of the electric motor due to the fact that gravity helps lower the engine.

At the electric motor's cable connector, the heavy BLACK wire would be the negative battery cable connection. The other two heavy wires would be the UP and DOWN mode voltage connections.

To test the electric motor, run small alligator clip jumper wires from the battery. Negative wire to the heavy black wire at the electric motor, and the positive jumper to the other UP and DOWN wires.... one at a time of course. If the electric motor works when connected directly like this, then obviously it is okay....... and the problem would be that the switch is not applying the voltage which should be easy to figure out.

And of course if the electric motor doesn't work in the down mode with those jumper wires..... something would have to be wrong with it. Let us know what you find.

Benny1963

Lieutenant
Re: trim issues 1983 175 evin three wire system

hey thanks ya sent me a diagram . awhile back
jumped the up and down wires works fine .think it is in the switch
going to steering wheel mount switch.i also got a diagram from somewere on here about three wire coversion to trombetta switch know anything about that,have diagram for it but cant find proper application.
thanks so much for your help you are always on the money when i ask for help,