here is the plan. How do I do it.

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I have an old aluminum boat, The transom wood needed to be replaced so I removed the old transom wood. now I have descovered that Marine ply is almost imposible to get in this are without a huge cost. My plan is to use plywood and then fiberglass it so that it is not exposed to water. Dont care if it only lasts a few years, its not that hard to change out. My problem is I have never done anyting with fiberglass, is this a decent idea? any advice?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: here is the plan. How do I do it.

I would consider epoxy encapsulation with no glass for simplicity. Many here will disagree with me, but if the piece of plywood is of high quality with few or no voids then using Epoxy will entirely seal it. If strength is a concern then go with with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin.

I would also consider reposting this in the Restoration section. That is where most of these topics are discussed in depth.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Even uncoated plywood will last a few years. The easy way is to do like TD said.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

The transom in my Starcraft was done about 9 years ago just like TD said except with a different brand of construction adhesive. I keep it under cover and bow raised and it is still fine today. If you are in Milwaukee like your ID indicates, then finding marine plywood shouldn't be much of a problem, but marine grade isn't required. I used BC exterior grade plywood and wouldn't be afraid of using CD. I have heard that Lowes can get the marine grade if that's what you really want. They may have to special order, but have heard prices around $60 per sheet. I'd just do exactly like TD said though.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

there are some really good tinny restorations on this site.....read the compleated projects forum.....look for dj's and lunds.....both are really good tutorials.....they will also help you decide on what methods to use and what materials

cheers
oops

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow fast replies and awsome too! thanks I kinda like the epoxy idea, did you have a particular product you like?

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

I like the West System. But for something that small Home Cheapo sells a brand of marine grade epoxy that will probably be very suitable for your application. Make sure you scuff it up good with 80# paper before applying the epoxy. Read the directions and protect yourself from the chemicals and fumes. :eek:

QC

Supreme Mariner

I am using Glen-L and also US Composites. I don't believe either is hazardous compared to two part paints and solvents . . . Also, remember Epoxy is not resistant to UV and needs a coat of varnish or Polyurethane to protect it . . .

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow all good info. what about using the bondo product for boats and just not using the matting? could I just put it straigt on the board?

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think these Epoxy companies are waaaay cheaper than Bondo kit. Big qty's though, Check out West Systems and Glen L for smaller qty's . . . gcboat says Home Depot, but I have looked and didn't find it there. I did see the Bondo kit you are referring to.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

on an aluminum boat, a couple of coats of poly is all it needs. then you can paint it if you want. no need for glass material.

readyforglass001.jpg

transom002.jpg

transom001.jpg