Cost estimate for repair

UTTOM

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2000 Johnson 70 hp 2-cycle. It is in the shop having to have the carbs cleaned and they called and said they hear a knocking noise. The lower unit was just replaced because the prior owner wacked a rock. Perhaps the knocking is related to the damage. They said it will more than lickely need an overall based on what they are hearing and experience. Can anyone give me an idea of what a typical "upper" overhaul goes for?

Thank you

Benny1963

Lieutenant
Re: Cost estimate for repair

had a 1991 done for$ 2440 that included carbs rebuilt. waterpump and houseing changed. and replaced vro with pump for premix .
and warranty ,the guy that did this one for me changed all bearings includeing
lower and center mains rod bearings and bored three holes new pistons and circlips
so price was fair and the work and warranty are above average with this guy a lot of the shops around my area use rebuilt powerheads
and haveing bought several i dont use them any more .

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cost estimate for repair

A good shop can tell you what the noise is. The lower can be removed and the motor run which will eliminate or pin point the lower as the source. There are ways to tell is a rod or wrist pin bearibg is going bad. It could be normal cast piston noise.