Getting "hot" alarm on 2000 Johnson

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer
Throughout the year I have gotten the hot alarm on my boat about three times. The boat has a temp gauge and is between 160 and 220 when running. It seems when I get the alarm the trim is in the lower to middle range but when I trim the motor up and the bow of the boat goes up the temp on the gauge falls to normal levels. The temp gauge reacts to the position of the trim. It seems as if there is an air pocket near the water pickup causing this. What could be the problem?

The boat is a 2000 four winns horizon 170 with a 2000 Johnson 90 HP.
The motor also has a "wale tale" from the previous owner which I plan to take off to see if that is causing the problem.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Getting "hot" alarm on 2000 Johnson

I don't know but

I wonder if the whale tale affects water pressure, too bad you don't have a pressure guage.

I just added doel fins, made a big difference in getting ( and staying ) on plane. I wouldn't want to have to remove them,

what about the vertical height of your cav plate, is it high?

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

The motor is on the lowest setting on the transom. The anti-cav plate is lower than the boat itself.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If the AV plate on the motor is lower than the keel when parallel it needs to be raised. My suggestion would be that if you are definately not going to raise the motor, remove the fin. If you plan on raising the motor put the AV plate at least a 1/4" above the bottom. Depending on the technology of your prop you may be able to go higher.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Could this be the problem or could it be internal (water pump, t-stat, ect.)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If the water pressure is down (on the gauge) then a new pump kit can't hurt. Regardless if the pump needs replacing or not the motor needs to come up.