pulling a flywheel on johnson 9.5

joho5

Chief Petty Officer
Is there a way to pull the flywheel safely without a puller? I dont have one of these and with my current ignition problems, I wanted to pull it tonight and take a look. Also, when its pulled off, is the flywheel key locked into place and when I get finished I will be able to just put the flywheel back in the same exact location as I had it before?

thanks

Matt

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: pulling a flywheel on johnson 9.5

you have to have a harmonic balancer puller, some auto parts store loan or rent them. you also need #8 hardened bolts that fit the holes in the flywheel.

Attachments

• removing fly wheel  paul moir.jpg
    removing fly wheel paul moir.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 4

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

A proper, harmonic type puller is a must - no way around it.

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

how do these things work? Do you just screw in the bolts and then loosen the flywheel nut and it comes off straight, or do you take the flywheel nut off first?

I mean is it a pretty self explanatory process when I get the puller? The one in my manual looks like it doesnt use the bolts it seems like it just wraps around it and you tap the nut?

thanks or the help, for some reason this part of the engine is intimidating to me. I guess its because I have never done it.

thanks

Matt

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

For the puller, go to Harbor Freight and you can pick up a puller for pretty cheap. I went to a hardware store and got the correct bolts, make sure you get grade 8.

You bolt the puller to the flywheel. The puller has a screw that comes down and pushed against the shaft. As you turn the puller's screw the flywheel is lifted off.

tashasdaddy

you remove the flywheel nut, the start it back on to protect the threads, then install the puller. run the 3 bolts in 7/16 of an inch.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

After you take the flywheel nut off, you need to remove the aluminum cover that is in the middle of the flywheel because the three bolt holes for the puller are located under that. Click the thumbnail below, please.

Attachments

• Flywheel.jpg
    Flywheel.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

thanks guys...autozone is going to lend me one tonight and then I will check my components and update you guys.

Will my flywheel key stay in place that way whenever I make my part changes or cleaning (whatever is needed)...I can just then put the flywheel back exactly where it was to start?

thanks

tashasdaddy

the key may not, but don't lose it. there is a slot in the flywheel and crankshaft that it lines up.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The key will most likely not move. You must have a torque wrench to replace the flywheel, however. 40-45 Ft Lbs.