Mariner tilt/trim stuck in up position

aarrjimlad

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I've recently purchased a boat with a 1980 70hp Mariner and tilt/trim, the engine runs well but is stuck in the up position. One of the solenoids 'clicks' when selected down but nothing else happens. I have released the 'knurled knob' on the trim/tilt assembly but still nothing happens, there is slight movement in the rams when the motor is maually lifted to engage the maunual metal rotating up lock. If you look at my link you'll see externally it all appears to be in reasonable condition.
Thanks for looking, I look forward to any suggestions.

John

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mariner tilt/trim stuck in up position

The manual release was not designed to allow the motor to go down, if it was run up electrically. Use an open end wrench to loosen the fitting on one of the small hydraulic lines where it connects to the pump. Oil will spray out, and the motor should drop.

aarrjimlad

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Chris
I'll try that at the weekend, are you able to advise what position the vent screw should be in during normal operation?
Regards
John

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Are you referring to the vent screw or the reverse lock release knob? The vent screws are on top of the pump, next to the fill hole, I just made them 1/2 turn from closed. The reverse lock release should be turned all the way CW for normal boating. Turn it all the way CCW to tilt the motor by hand (and back).

aarrjimlad

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again Chris
Yes it was the vent and not the reverse lock release knob, I have found a copy of an old manual c1976 and although it identifies the vent it fails to describe its purpose.
regards
John

aarrjimlad

Seaman Apprentice

I bit the bullet on Saturday and removed the complete assembly, the fault was soon located - dirty commutator, I cleaned the segments and decreased the brushes etc, tested it and ...........wwwhhhrrr, am I relieved had been very concerned about a high replacement cost and was beginning to loose sleep with worry.
Sigh of relief.....:D

aarrjimlad

Seaman Apprentice

I know that the 'up' range of movement is controlled by a limit switch, what controls the max' 'down' position? is there a mechanical lock pin or is it when the rams are fully extended? :confused:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There is no max down, or max up when using the tilt buttons. The trim limit switch kills the motor whne max trim is reached. Max tilt is well above this point.

The motor will change its sound when you are max up or down. Install the tilt pin into the lowest hole. This will protect the transom from the motor slamming into it.

aarrjimlad

Seaman Apprentice

Refitted the assembley at the weekend and it works well.
This forum gave me the cofidence to tackle the problem myself, thanks for your help, this enabled me to gain a techical appreciation and understanding of what initially, appeared to be a very complex and expensive chunk of equipment.