help for the new boat owner

sima

Cadet
Hello everybody.

I have 2004 185 Stingray with 3.0 Volvo Penta engine with sterndrive.

I came out of the lake today and noticed that the bottom of the sterndrive was missing an end and a little bent. I must have hit something.

Could somebody tell me if I can replace just the lower portion of the drive and how much that may cost me?

Can it fixed or do I need to replace the lower portion?

Thank you in advance.

Eugene.

sima

Cadet
Re: help for the new boat owner

Thank you Don. I am assuming that the lowest part of the drive called a Skeg. Before I can attach the skegguard the existing one needs to be unbend. Correct? Would my service dept at the local marine be able to do that?...and intall the guard after that.

Eugene.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

yep...
or you can grab a couple of blocks of wood and a BFH and see if you can hammer it back.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have successfuly streightened skegs this way. Have someone hold a heavy metal block or brick wraped in a rag against the gear case at the top of the skeg on the side opposite the way its bent. Then you can use a block of wood and a hammer to gradualy tap it streight. If it doesn't have a big hunk out of it, just round off the damage with a grinder, smooth it up and paint.

sima

Cadet

Thank you all for your advice. Can somebody tell me what is the purpose of the skeg. If I streighten it but not fix it, would it affect the perfomance of my boat?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

The outdrive as a whole is your rudder for the boat.
The skeg is the bottom part of said rudder.
Some boats steer dangerously awefull without a full skeg.
Some boats it doesn't matter at all if the whole skeg is snapped off flush with the bullet....
it all depends on the boat.
All you can do is bang is and sail it.