74 Johnson 15hp Reverse Problem

dbear1959

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased a 1974 15hp Johnson. The motor will go into reverse but it I really have to play with the shift lever a bit as it won't immediately engage. I tried playing with the linkage adjustment inside the motor cover but no matter how I adjust it it seems that I am limited by the metal stop that limits how far the plate will move.

Also it runs quite well most of the time, but will stall occasionally at lower idle. Any ideas hear? Anything else I need to know or watch out for with this engine. Thanks for your help.

dbear1959

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 74 Johnson 15hp Reverse Problem

Thanks. In a related post it mentioned that if the lower unit was dropped that the shift rod may have not been reinstalled/adjusted correctly. I'm not sure if the lower unit was ever removed. I am fairly mechanical, but not a mechanic if that makes sense. Is the shift rod adjustment fairly easy to do, and does anyone have a picture or suggestions? I have not rec'd my manual yet.

As I mentioned earlier it will go into reverse but you really have to play with it. Thanks for the help!