78' 85hp evinrude idle/low speed miss

CampH&K

Recruit
I recently pick'd up the motor,fired it up to find it has a idle/low speed miss that dissapears when running faster than idle,it has good holeshot and no stumbling at speed.brought it back home ran it on the muffs and lightly squirted carb cleaner "fine mist not full spray" into intake and the miss was less pronounced stop spraying it would return.checked all wiring on the motor everything looks good,but i do get a little tingle when touching #1 plug boot.i'm assuming this is a fuel issue,but would like to know where everyone would start in fixing this problem. Thanks!!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 78' 85hp evinrude idle/low speed miss

Clean the slow speed jets, located on the rear sides of the carburetors (2 to a carb) in back of the small aluminum screws that you'll see there.

They should have a I.D. of .025 (#323003). If cleaning doesn't correct the problem, it may help to open them slightly (very slightly) to a size or two higher.

To find the offending carburetor (jet), with the engine running and the problem existing, stick a couple fingers into the carburetor throats, one at a time. When the engine smooths out somewhat, you've found the offending carburetor.