stretched cable?

freddyray21

Commander
1972 Mercruiser 120 new lower shift cable last year. Wife took it out weekend before last. I was in the kayak and was watching. I saw here start the motor with the drive up and put it in gear lowering the drive. When she came back in found she had no reverse. She also said at one point driving it the motor revved and she shut it down then put it back into gear and it was fine. I am thinking when she shifted it with the drive down she may have stretched or damaged the lu cable?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: stretched cable?

Shifting with the leg up and engine running should not have damaged the cable... Check its adjustment... and the small set screws that clamp the guide (long black bit that mounts up on the shift plate) to the cable inner. Sometimes they come loose and the cable can move in the guide.

Chris.........

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Everything AChris said......
And on the trailer.... tilt the drive up and see if the shift shaft foot (on the bellhousing) is actually connected to the shift shaft on the drive.

I know Ziggy's got a good pic of it, maybe he'll be along.

freddyray21

Commander

will check both. I wondered about the set screw also. I will let you know. I am probably done with that boat for this year so in no hurry to work on it. I will do it when I winterize it sometime in the next 6 weeks.