1980 Evinrude 200hp shaft question

blackhawkdc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey all, I'm looking at a 200 horse 1980 Evinrude outboard that has the extra long, 25", shaft. Is it possible on these engines to swap it out to a long, 20", shaft? If so, what is needed and how difficult is it? I know on the smaller tillers, most of them just required removing a spacer on the leg and replacing the shaft.

Thanks!

Seth Petro

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1980 Evinrude 200hp shaft question

it would probably be easier, to use a jackplate, than try to find the parts for a 29 y/o motor.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The parts are easy enough to find. You'll need to change the midsection, exhaust tuner & can, steering arm, driveshaft and shift shaft. As produced from the factory the 25" motors did not use spacers like smaller motors.

It'd be easier to find a 20" midesction with or without trim and install your powerhead (& TNT sytem if needed). Then all you'd have to do is take the lower unit apart and change the driveshaft. The shift shaft screws in & out.

Lots of work but it can be done. In most cases a manual jackplate or setback is much easier, depending on what hull you have.

blackhawkdc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, kinda what I was figuring. I pretty much planned on just using a jackplate, but wanted to find out if there were other routes too. I'm putting the motor on a bass boat with a 20" transom. Got a very good deal on the motor that I couldn't pass up.

I've heard that putting a 25" shaft motor on a 20" transom and using a jackplate to adjust for the difference isn't ideal. Are there any bad points to it? Or is just not ideal? I'm going from a 16' deep vee fishing boat with a 45hp Merc that canjust barely hit 30mph to a 19ft bass boat with this 200 horse. so I'm not worried about getting every last drop of performance out of this set up.

Thanks!

Seth Petro

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The downsides are that 1- you may not be able to get the motor high enough even with a jackplate if the boat has a stepped (notched) transom. 2- on hulls that can reach speeds of 55+ having the powerhead up that high moves the powerhead weight pretty high. If it starts to chine walk the leverage from the weight being so high may actually make it worse.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If the new boat has a pad bottom and you have little or no experience driving a pad bottom boat I'd strongly suggest re-thinking what you're about to do.

blackhawkdc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, the boat that this motor will be going on is a 1986 Hydrasport 19 foot bass boat. So its of an older design, doesn't appear to have an actual flat pad on the bottom either. The transom on it is notched forward, but is also the lowest part of the boat as well. I fully intend on spending the time with this boat getting used to how it handles, before I start messing with full speed runs. PLus I don't fish too many lakes that I'd actually be able to get it up to full speed. I fish a lot of smaller lakes.

Thanks!

Seth Petro

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That's a good boat, you'll like it I'm sure. It's not quite as sensative to height as a pad bottom boat but it still may be an issue. Just be careful.

blackhawkdc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dhadley, Thanks for your time and advice. I'm still a relatively young guy, but thankfully I've grown up with enough wisdom to know when I'm out of my element and take things slow. Bass boats are very new to me, never even ridden in one. Horsepower isn't new to me, I know some of what it can do on land. I'm working on getting myself into a bass boat because it'll fit the fishing that I do, pike, better then what I have been using. I paid nothing for the boat, and am now working on getting it outfitted and ready for next season. The end of open water fishing in Minnesota here isn't going to last much longer. I'll have to find a prop for the motor and put new control cables in it. But that'll be the easy part. Still need to find myself a jack plate and a trolling motor.

Any ideas on a good prop for this set up?

Thanks for all your help!

Seth Petro

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'd look for something with good bow lift. Something like a Raker or a Turbo Lightning (not a Lightning TXP). That shouldn't be to hard to find. When you get to that point just let us know or email me directly. Do you have anything for testing?

blackhawkdc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Unfortunately, I don't have anything for testing. I'm getting the motor prop-less. I figure I'll have to find something used off Ebay or someplate else just to get me started and build a starting point and go from there. I'm guessing I'll probably start with something in the 22-24" range. Just from looking at other setups that people have with kinda equivalent boats.

Any thoughts as to where you would start? I'll probably have a 6" setback jackplate on the boat as well.

Thanks!

Seth Petro

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I think you're on the right track, something in that range. Probably the 22 is a good starting point.

blackhawkdc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, would there be any benefit to a 4-blade prop? I've been told that these older Hydro-sports are heavy boats. I'm not too worried about top speed on this set up.

thanks again,

Seth Petro

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'm partial to 4 blade props but they have to be specific for what you're looking for. With Rangers we typically look for bow lift. That's sort of rare with a 4 blade. If I were testing your boat I'd start with a 3 blade and see where we're at.

blackhawkdc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all your help Dhadley, Much appreciated. I will be keeping my eyes open for a 3-blade prop around 22" pitch. I've also found a fixed jackplate that'll allow me to just raise it a 3-5 inches for about $120. Should do the trick without a lot of money out of pocket. Plus its only has about 4 inches of set back. Its the model JP-4FA-DP from TH Marine. I'm not looking for getting every once of performance, so I have no need for a hydraulic jack plate.

Thanks again!

Seth Petro

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you have a handle on things. Let me know when you're ready for a prop. I know a guy who has one that might be something to consider. Just send me a PM.

blackhawkdc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you sir, I sure will.
Thanks for all your help! It is very much appreciated.

Seth Petro

blackhawkdc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I just won an Ebay auction for a 14.5x22" Raker II prop. I might be able to get the motor mounted, running, and take it for a test spin before winter sets in here in Minnesota. Hopefully that Raker II will get me close enough. Hopefully I paid a reasonable price for it as well. I paid $153 including S&H. My research shows that they go for $400+ new. It also comes with a TBX hub kit. I also ordered the fixed jack plate as well.

Thanks again for all your help. I appreciate it.

Seth Petro