How likely is it I damaged my impeller?

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Recently I read a thread that said the motor should be getting water from muffs even just cranking, to preserve the impeller. Which got me thinking, about a month ago I had motor trouble, no spark, got it fixed with the help of the guys on this forum. I cranked the motor maybe a dozen times or more checking spark, compression, etc. without muffs-- didn't think muffs were necessary just cranking without spark. As soon as i got spark again I put muffs on and it ran fine. I've only had a chance to get her in the water once since then and it ran great.

So did I possibly damage my impeller? I was hoping to take her out a few more times before winter, then replacing the impeller in the spring.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How likely is it I damaged my impeller?

From the posts I've read and seeing my impeller when I replaced it this summer, I don't think it would take too long running w/o water to do damage. But, one wouldn't really know unless you take it out and look at it. Also, if your warning gauges are working you should know right away if water isn't circulating.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Try it .
If its got a good pee stream (assuming it has a tell tale) and it does not overheat dont worry. Change it when convenient

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If all you were doing was turning the motor over for a short period of time to check ignition with a spark gap checker, etc., I doubt you damaged your impeller. Running the motor with no water flow is different, simply because the motor will run fast enough and long enough for the impeller to create significant friction and heat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as long as you did not start the motor, your fine, an impeller can burn up in 15 seconds, without water. as long as you have a tale tell stream you should be fine.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, the most I ever cranked the starter was a few seconds, maybe 5 when I did the compression test, and never actually started the motor with the muffs off.

My motor doesn't have a typical telltale, being an older Evinrude, but on muffs water starts coming out of the outlet I have circled in the pic a few seconds after I start it up. That means water is circulating properly, right?

Attachments

• telltale.jpg
    telltale.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0

wbeaton

Commander

Don't even worry about it. However, when did you last change it? Maybe you are due anyway?

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't even worry about it. However, when did you last change it? Maybe you are due anyway?

The guy I bought the boat from said he changed it before this season. I'm planning on replacing it next spring.

Hey, cool old Johnson motor in your avatar! I love the look of those old motors.