Johnson 9.5hp 1968?? Lacks power trouble starting

richardg123

Recruit
Hi,

Please help!!!

I have a johnson 9.5 i bought 2nd hand took it out on the weekend for 1st time on my 3.4 rib.

The engine sometimes has trouble starting, i have changed plugs. If i pour a little fuel down the carb it starts but then dies, sometimes it will stay running and at full thorttle goes around 8mph. (Im sure this should not be the max speed it will go) Idleing seems to be fine, After the engine has been running sometimes it will not start again.

Please can anyone advise me the settings for the carb. Or any ideas.

I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: Johnson 9.5hp 1968?? Lacks power trouble starting

If you check the FAQ section, there is a couple that could apply here, like the "My engine wont start" thread, and the "Awakening a sleeping outboard". There's probably a couple more you should check out, too. For instance the carb cleaning thread ;)

Good luck

-Eric

Last edited:

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

I know first hand that the 9.5's are moody when dealing with their carbs. I got one with the same condition when I ran it and I changed the plugs, ran seafoam through the gas, and did a carb overhaul kit. It ran better but still has a small hitch somewhere in the carb, because mine will run bogged down for a few seconds and then catch and go. I just purchases a new fuel pump to limit that out. I rebuilt my old one and so I just bought a whole new unit to see if that was it.

I would definately pull the carb and get a carb kit and do that...its pretty simple. Also, make sure the lower unit is retaining oil, you dont want to mess that up.

also, was it pumping water fine?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The fact that you can get it to run by pouring fuel into the carburetor tell you that you are not getting fuel to the combustion chambers normally. You have to use the choke when the engine is cold and keep using it until the engine fires.

If using the choke does not work, clean the carburetor and use a new OEM kit so that you replace the float.

If you have a planing hull on your boat and the boat is not on plane, 8 is as good as you might expect, plus running the engine hard when not on plane is hard on the engine.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think you need to start at the basics, have you check spark on both cylinders, should jump 3/8 to 1/2 inch. have you check compression on both cylinders? this is to see if you have a viable base before you start to buy expensive parts.

if all of this is good then throughly clean and rebuild the carborators, with a rebuild kit.