Glue/solvent for acetate/acrylic?

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
I frequently have to mock up prototype acetate boxes at my work and was wondering if anyone knows what the manufacturers use to glue these things together. I've seen (on TV) them use a very thin solvent dispensed through a syringe type applicator that looked like it fused the two pieces almost instantly. I asked one of our vendors about it and they used it but they would not cough up what it was.:confused: Claimed it was some sort of secret. I think they were just afraid that we were going to start doing their work here. We're not, but I don't blame 'em.

I use a very strong dual-sided tape now but it's very difficult to work with. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

spots

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Glue/solvent for acetate/acrylic?

Sounds like you are describing cyanoacrylate adhesive(sp) or super glue. You can either use them straight (which takes a bit of time for it to bond) or apply accelerator to both parts and then glue, the bond is almost instant, 5-10 seconds. The accelerator also helps bonding materials the glue does not like to stick to, I use it to glue plastisol (rubber worm material) to fishing lures. Here's the stuff I use;

http://www.caglue.com/index.html

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it is just your standard plexiglass the stuff that glues it is Methylene Chloride. It is the same stuff that is many paint strippers. It is thin like alcohol and stinks like heck.

I don't think you glue lexan.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Another suggestion Spots....ask a glazier.
Those guys bond all sorts of materials (not just glass) for a wide range of uses e.g. fish tanks through to high rise glass panels.
It is their trade.
Cheers
Phillip

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Superglue (and many other adhesives) has a side-effect of hazing clear plastic. It will glue it, but it looks kinda bad.

I'll look into the Methylene Chloride. We're not using plexiglass, but it may work on acetate/acrylic too.

Didn't think about the fish tank biz... good idea.

Thanks guys!

fvmerl

Cadet

Check out this site that has different types of solvents/glues for acrylics, polyacrylics, etc. They have hinges, saw blades, router bits and anything you can think of for plastic construction and assembly. I found this a few days ago to do some work on a live bait well lid. Haven't tried the products but a lot of cool stuff and information. www.craftics.com

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Craftics is who I ordered it from. Got it today. Works great! Fuses the two pieces almost on contact. In case someone stumbles on this thread in the future it's called: Plastick Acrylic Solvent, Cement.

The back sez it causes cancer in California... glad I'm in Mississippi.:D

Thanks!