Paint Preperation ?

Bunky

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm getting ready to pain the bow of my Starcraft and after doing some reading somewhere someone said not to use solvents to clean the fiberglass, but to use Ammonia...

Has anyone heard of this is mineral spirits or laquer thinner not good for the fiberglass or Gelcoat???

I'm going to use Rustoleum Marine Top paint and it says to thin with mineral spirits...

So my question is should I use the ammonia or mineral spirits or other solvent for prep???

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Paint Preperation ?

I would use the same solvent to clean the hull with that is in the paint.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I do not wish to confuse the issue here, mineral spirits... acetone... nor ammonia do not or will not cut wax or various residual produts off a hull. I am sure some will disagree with this...Xylene is the only chem that i have found that will thourghly cut off and clean a hull. Been there done that more than once..:redface:...The wipe should start prior to any sanding several time's...good luck....:D....Dont ya love statements..:rolleyes:

redfury

Commander

Well, there IS a difference in them all, which is why they have different names! You can use paint thinner or Mineral Spirits to thin paint, but you can also use other products that can change the way the paint drys (Naptha) etc.

Acetone is popular to use to dewax boats also, but there is this guy that does keep on insisting about xylene...:rolleyes::p. Depends on what you can get your hands on, and what you want to pay. You can buy a product that is designed to dewax surfaces, but it's probably basically xylene or acetone.

Personally, if I can stay away from acetone, I will because I absolutely cannot stand the smell of the stuff. I haven't dealt with xylene yet and I may look into Toluene , but anyway you shake it, you need a good respirator when using any chemical on large surfaces/in large quantities. Note: respirator is not a dust mask...buy a decent one with disposable cartridges...your lack of slurred speech later will be welcomed by your family and friends ;)

If you are curious about the different solvents, do a quick wikipedia search and read up. It's good to know what you are working with.

D.spencer

Petty Officer 1st Class

why not use MEK ? (methyl-ethyl-ketone) contrary to popular belief,it is still available.

mthieme

Captain

I use acetone.
Did you sand or do any other prep work?
Or did you just plan to clean and shoot?

drewpster

Commander

Being a novice, I prefer using products specifically designed for a specific job. The type of solvent you use depends on the paint system you are going to use. I recommend staying within a specific brand. Pick a brand name that offers all of the products you are going to need to do the job. Once you have settled on the system you are going to use the choices become much easier. You are also more likely to get the finish you want because all of the pruducts wll work with each other.
I use Interlux marine finishes. But there are others on the market that are just as good. (Awlgrip, Epifanes, Petits) I generally do not recommend using automotive finishes on boats unless you have experience with them. (and all the equipment needed) Most people feel spraying is the only way to get a good finish. I disagree. I have had great results using DIY marine paints with the added benifit of products that are designed for the marine enviroment.
All with brush and roller.

perfect2.jpg