King Mackeral recipes?

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer
I got alot of fish out the Gulf in July when we went to Galveston. The Snappers were delicious and so were the Sharks, but the Kingfish-not so good. I've tried all of the recipes on the net and they're all worthless. Does anyone know how to cook these things? I've still got 4 large freezerbags full. If I'd known they were that bad I'd of let em go.

pduquette

Ensign
Re: King Mackeral recipes?

Sorry-I only got good recipies for stripe bass -:D I'd unthaw and cut up for bait for something more tasty:redface::)

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

That might just be the best idea for this junk I've heard. I wonder if I can get some freshwater fish to eat it

flawelder

Cadet

first thing is did you cut the fish after you caught it and let it bleed?; hope so; also did you fillet the fish or just take the insides out of the fish? my recipe is to take and soak the fish in buttermilk for awhile say 4-6 hours or so in the fridge; take them and wash them off in water; drain and pat dry; put them in aluminum foil with butter; lemon ; garlic powder; tbsp olive oil; and parsley ; wrap the foil on the ends and seal the top; not tight; put on the grill for about 10-15 minutes; take off grill and check with fork; enjoy. p.s make sure you soak in buttermilk

CATransplant

Admiral

Not everyone likes mackerel. I love it, but my wife won't touch it. Matter of taste, I guess.

Important to remove the lateral line tissue from the filets...the dark stuff down the outside center of the filet. That has a very, very strong flavor. Me? I like it, but most folks are used to tasteless fish, so they don't.

Mackerel's also good smoked, but, again, lots of people hate the stuff. Tastes like fish.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

They were thrown in a cooler for about four hours. Didn't really get alot of fresh bleeding time. Working with Mackeral is very challenging to me. Trying to fillet something that soft on the exterior ain't easy. But after some time, yes it can be done. Yes, I always removed the blood vein, or that darker tough portion. I did the filet steaks, not press out balls. Still, a little too much taste for me. The two recipes I've tried just didn't work out, BUT my beagle watched very attentivley so I gave it to her. I'll try the 4-6 hour buttermilk idea and if that don't work I guess I've got a two year supply of bait. That will without a doubt be the smelliest bait I've ever used though. Thanks for the help. I'm afraid I may be of the many who just don't like it, but I haven't given up yet.